Scottish Power - Social Welfare Tariff (Scam?)

Options
Leodogger
Leodogger Posts: 1,274 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
After switching to Scottish Power on one of their cheapest tariffs I read from MSE web site that if you are over 60 you should ask about the Social Welfare Tariff for the over 60's which is the cheapest tariff they offer, so I rang Scottish Power and asked about this tariff. I was told that the tariff I was on (which is readily available to anyone) was cheaper than the Social Welfare Tariff so it appears that this so called cheaper tariff (social welfare tariff) is nothing but a con.

Has anyone else come across this ?

Comments

• t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The social tariff is not really a con. It tends to be the cheapest for people who don't have the internet and can't therefore have online tariffs. But it's well known that an online direct debit tariff will often be cheaper.
  • Leodogger
    Options
    Well that is not what I was told by the Customer Service of Scottish Power. There was no mention of the fact that the Social Tariff was for people who do not use internet tariffs although of course I know that the internet tariff is always cheaper than non - online tariffs.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    Options
    JWhite wrote: »
    Well that is not what I was told by the Customer Service of Scottish Power. There was no mention of the fact that the Social Tariff was for people who do not use internet tariffs although of course I know that the internet tariff is always cheaper than non - online tariffs.

Well you were told by Tortoise, so I agree , it is not a con, perhaps not worded in a way you would like to read the SP blurb :o
  • christabell
    Options
    After switching to Scottish Power on one of their cheapest tariffs I read from MSE web site that if you are over 60 you should ask about the Social Welfare Tariff for the over 60's which is the cheapest tariff they offer, so I rang Scottish Power and asked about this tariff. I was told that the tariff I was on (which is readily available to anyone) was cheaper than the Social Welfare Tariff so it appears that this so called cheaper tariff (social welfare tariff) is nothing but a con.

Has anyone else come across this ?

:eek:Mr White, there is a criteria for the Social Tariffs:eek:....for example are you in receipt of Income support? Pension Credit? DLA ? If you don't fit the criteria, you may not be offered that Energy Companies Social Tariff.
    Today, my BEST is good enough.
  • Leodogger
    Options
    DUTR wrote: »
    Well you were told by Tortoise, so I agree , it is not a con, perhaps not worded in a way you would like to read the SP blurb :o

I didn't READ it anywhere, as i said I was told and no mention was made by the Customer Service person that there was a difference due to me being an internet user and the Social Welfare tariff being a non-internet rate, otherwise I would not have posted this message.;)
  • Leodogger
    Options
    :eek:Mr White, there is a criteria for the Social Tariffs:eek:....for example are you in receipt of Income support? Pension Credit? DLA ? If you don't fit the criteria, you may not be offered that Energy Companies Social Tariff.

No I had already verified that you only have to be over 60 years of age to qualify.;)
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't READ it anywhere, as i said I was told and no mention was made by the Customer Service person that there was a difference due to me being an internet user and the Social Welfare tariff being a non-internet rate, otherwise I would not have posted this message.;)

I hear what you say, I just don't agree it's a con or aymore so than any offering from any company :o
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,283 Forumite
    Options
    I imagine they just presume that older people are the most likely not to have and use the internet. As time goes on they will be more and more wrong!
  • Leodogger
    Options
    t0rt0ise wrote: »
    I imagine they just presume that older people are the most likely not to have and use the internet. As time goes on they will be more and more wrong!

That is so true, they rely on older people not using the internet so not finding out about the special tariffs available on line which is why it is a con. If older people knew they could get it cheaper on the internet than the so called "social welfare" tariff they have been offered then they would probably see it the way I do that Scottish Power is misleading them and not giving them the cheapest tariff they could get. They are advertising it as a special lower tariff for OAP's than is available to anyone else when it is not true and that is what I told Scottish Power.
  • PNPSUKNET
    PNPSUKNET Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Options
    but if not on dd it is lower, does your bank tell you which card will cost you less...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure