MSE News: Minister answers concerns on lone parent benefits

edited 27 December 2010 at 4:51AM in Benefits & Tax Credits
251 replies 14.1K views

Replies

• nottslass_2nottslass_2 Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    You're forgetting the extra TCs you get towards childcare costs.

Not everyone gets help with childcare costs.
  • OldernotwiserOldernotwiser
    37.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sh1305 wrote: »
    Which is being cut to a maximum of 70% soon.

Even paying 30% of childcare costs is going to leave most people better off working, particularly when you're talking about school age children.
    37.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nottslass wrote: »
    Not everyone gets help with childcare costs.

We're discussing couples on low incomes, so they would.
  • We're discussing couples on low incomes, so they would.
    :naughty: we are discussing lone parents, not a couple to be seen in sight on this thread :p
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • I agree, my 3 children are now between 30 -35 years old and I paid 100% of their childcare costs with no help from the state.

I assume childcare cost less back then though?
  • ceridwenceridwen
    11.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see how you can legislate against having children.....

<sigh> been down this road many times before <sigh>

It's called effective contraceptive precautions - ie the Pill, sterilisation, abortion if need be.

If someone already has a child/children and wants to have some more whilst still on benefits - on their head be it - as they wouldnt get given any extra money by the State (ie us) for any subsequent children. So the woman would have to "spread" the same income over more mouths to feed/bodies to clothe/etc. A lot of women would then "miraculously" decide by themselves then not to have any more children after all...
    37.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DX2 wrote: »
    :naughty: we are discussing lone parents, not a couple to be seen in sight on this thread :p

You're right, it's gone off topic, but lone parents do often think that their problems are different from couples'.
    37.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tts42010 wrote: »
    I assume childcare cost less back then though?

As was everything else, like wages.
  • seven-day-weekendseven-day-weekend Forumite
    36.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As was everything else, like wages.

Absolutely.

Childcare cost as much as it does now as a proportion of wages. And it was not so readily available. And the Government didn't pay for any of it.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • seven-day-weekendseven-day-weekend Forumite
    36.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ceridwen wrote: »
    <sigh> been down this road many times before <sigh>

It's called effective contraceptive precautions - ie the Pill, sterilisation, abortion if need be.

If someone already has a child/children and wants to have some more whilst still on benefits - on their head be it - as they wouldnt get given any extra money by the State (ie us) for any subsequent children. So the woman would have to "spread" the same income over more mouths to feed/bodies to clothe/etc. A lot of women would then "miraculously" decide by themselves then not to have any more children after all...

Yes, I agree with that.

These are indirect measures to discourage people on Benefits from having more children. What I meant when I said you couldn't legislate against people having children is that you could not pass a law saying 'thou shalt have no more children whilst on Benefits'.

Indirect measures like this, yes I approve of.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Virgin Media & O2 launch Volt

Aims to boost mobile data & broadband speeds

MSE News

Cheap pet insurance

Top comparisons & hot deals

MSE Guides