M&S ISAs have no sort code or account number?

Options
Just went into a Halifax branch to hand in the form to transfer from my M&S ISA to Halifax.

The Halifax staff (including the branch manager) said I needed a sort code and account number before I could hand the form in. But none of the M&S documentation I took with me had a sort code or account number - just a "customer reference" number.

So I had to return home with instructions to phone M&S and get the sort code and acct no. But when I rang them they were empahtic that their M&S ISAs did not have sort code or account number and that I could just put the customer reference number on the Halifax form.

I obviously do not want to get into an impasse with Halifax returning my form as incomplete and M&S unable/unwilling to provide the details required by Halifax.

Has anyone else had this problem, and have you managed to get Halifax to accept the transfer form with just the M&S customer reference number?

Comments

• jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,580 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We had a similar problem with Northern Rock, there were no sort code/account number details on our paperwork, only a customer reference number.

We rang NR and got details from them, they only have one sort code/account number, which we gave Halifax, plus we quoted our customer reference number.

M&S MUST have a bank account, otherwise they could not operate!

How did you pay into the ISA in the first place?
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ah, that makes a lot of sense.
    When you pay a credit card by BACS you use a common sort code and account number for the bank and use your card number as the reference.
  • ericpode
    ericpode Posts: 356 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just found this thread on exactly the same topic.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1239641

I think I'll use the solution suggested there: cross out sort-code and account number text, and put cust ref number into the account number boxes.
  • cing0
    cing0 Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You don't need an account and sort code (or just account number if you only have one ISA with the losing ISA manager). Put the form in the post or shove through the branch letter box rather than handing over to a member of staff. It won't come back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure