Problem with British Gas...advice needed

Options
dazzst
dazzst Posts: 24 Forumite
Hi All,

I've been with BG dual fuel for a few years now but on the 10th November I used the uswitch service to change to EDF as their rates were much better. I hadn't had any communication from EDF so about a week ago I called uswitch customer services for advice. They said that EDF had computer problems and that they lost a lot of new customer details. I put this down to the fact the BG raised their prices a few days after I tried to join EDF and thought 'how convenient' that my details were lossed.

After another search I joined online the BG Websaver 10 tariff as the tariff I was on previously had been changed to their standard plan as this was the best on offer..... but low and behold, yesterday my EDF welcome pack arrived.

I sent BG an email notifying them that I would like to potentially cancel my websaver 10 tariff but would need to check the figures and revert to them today.

I received an email reply today saying that if I leave BG I will need to pay them a £35.00 per fuel penalty (£70!). I have not received any formal paperwork from BG with the contract and would have thought that there would be a cooling off period.

Is there anything I can do?

TIA
Daz

Comments

• davidgmmafan
    Options
    Hmm this is a tough one, not sure whether to say go after EDF for the cancellation fee if charged by BG. Is it too late to cancel the EDF contract? Is there much difference in terms of price?

That's seems a very long time to send out a contract or welcome pack.
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • duggie1982
    Options
    Just call BG and say to them as im sure you would have a cool off (normally 14 days)
  • cing0
    cing0 Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you have a confirmation email from uswitch saying you have used their switching service and a new company & tariff, then you have entered into a contract with EDF.
    I think uswitch and EDF will blame each other for the data loss but you need to badger them both - get proof from uswitch they sent the switch request and get EDF to admit they lost it or deny they received it.
    Salient point is you need to get the date of your original switch admitted in writing which then pre-dates the BG change in tariff. Don't think you have a cooling off period with the same supplier.

Best done over email rather than the phone if you can. I may have an email for EDF complaints if you PM me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure