5 mins spare to help test new CallCheckers?

Hi all,

We've totally revamped the International & UK CallCheckers and would really appreciate it if you could help us out by spending five minutes testing them.

The new stuff:

Specify who your main provider is to see specific call prices
Includes connection fees
Allows you to rate providers
Includes time zones and international dialling codes
The UK callchecker includes 075 numbers

Please let us know:

If you like it
If you spot any glitches
Anything else

International CallChecker: http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/new/intcallchecker/
UK CallChecker: http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/new/ukcallchecker/

Many thanks - really appreciate your time.

Comments

• I normally require such a service when i'm on holiday or business and need to call my family that's back home in the UK.
    So far i've only been able to use this service for my family to call me when i'm at the hotel. This is a real pain as you have to arrange an exact time that you will be at the hotel just in case they call.
    How do i find the cheap access numbers to 'call home' from abroad when home is the UK please? I usually just buy a prepaid phone card.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,559
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ambassador
    I haven't used it before, but found the rating a little confusing. I clicked on the stars expecting to see something like a breakdown of the votes or comments, but found I had voted. A bit too simple to do. It lets you vote more than once too. I gave one a 1 star vote, then gave it 3. After a screen refresh it showed 2 stars and 1 vote registered. Logical I suppose, but some sort of feedback or only being able to vote once would have been nicer.

Generally though, I like it. It found the provider we use to call international and suggested a cheaper alternative, which I will try!

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    I'm not sure where you want comments.

I assumed it was in the Home Phones forum (i.e. HERE [posts 2, 3 and 4]).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Thanks Heinz,

I'm checking both, but this is the main one.

Archna
  • There's an error on the drop down country menu where you type in 'SP' for Spain and in jumps to Pakistan. The same error is in many places on this site so i expect it will called a 'feature'!
  • Thanks for these guys. We've added a hover over to better explain the rating system and we're looking at the dropdown error.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,559
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ambassador
    The hover text makes it a bit clearer. It still lets you vote more than once, but does seem to ignore subsequent votes. For example, I gave the provider we use 4 stars and it showed 1 vote with a 4 star rating. Then I gave it 2 stars and it still showed 4 stars and 1 vote. Looks better.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Heinz
    Forumite
    edited 21 December 2010 at 5:01PM
    itsmeagain wrote: »
    There's an error on the drop down country menu where you type in 'SP' for Spain and in jumps to Pakistan. The same error is in many places on this site so i expect it will called a 'feature'!
    I don't think that's an error because it works on a single letter entry principle unless you enter the second letter very quickly.

So, it will have tried to jump to the S range but your not-quite-quick-enough entry of the second letter (P) made it jump to the P range.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Heinz
    Forumite
    For calls to UK mobiles, the new CallChecker offers users the choice of Daytime (Mon-Sun 7am to 7pm) and Evening (Mon-Sun 7.01pm to 6.59am) options.

However, the 'winning' provider (18185) does not offer different prices for Daytime and Evening calls but for Weekday (not restricted to daytime) and Weekend (again, not restricted to daytime) ones instead (5p connection + 6p/min and 5p connection + 7p/min respectively).
  • Dear MSE Archna
    Will there be any responses or solutions to the comments/issues raised. In particular can you explain how to use the tool to find the cheapest way to call the UK from abroad? The need for cheap international calling work both ways.
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport