Chimney Cleaning log.

Options
Just having a look around the internet and came across this Log. Just wondered if anyone has used it?
Thanks

http://www.fluesystems.com/sundries/info/cleaning_log.htm
The measure of love is love without measure

Comments

• suey2
    suey2 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    We also saw this on Fluesystems and were wondering the same thing.! It is an expensive log if it doesnt work.:eek:
    "The trouble with being punctual is that nobody's there to appreciate it.":
  • John_3:16
    Options
    just Bump this
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Likewise would be interested to know if it is effective; but how could it be evaluated?
    Chimney sweeps are hardly likely to give an objective opinion of something that might damage their business and I believe the Health and Safety regulations stop us sending little boys up the chimney to have a look.

We might be reduced to asking Santa next month.
  • John_3:16
    Options
    So confident are the manufacturers of the Chimney Cleaning Log, that every single log comes with free insurance against chimney fires. Use every 60 fires (once or twice a season) or as needed.
  • FirstClassMale
    Options
    Hmmm... I just read the speil and remain unconvinced. If you notice, they use the word "may" several times. "....creosote in your chimney may become brittle and begin to flake away"..... "and may cause the creosote to disperse."
    I "may" get hit by a bus today. It doesn't mean that I will.

If you look at their photos of a fluepipe you will see that the furring up is reduced by the burning of the log. The first thing that happens when I take off the fluepipe from my stove is the amount of soot that falls off from a good thump against something. Then cleaning is done outside. The inside of the chimney would get periodically swept too.

If this thing does work, then I'd love to hear about it but the info on the website seems suspiciously vague.
  • bbach
    Options
    I have used this product as I know from experience that the chimney does indeed get quite thick deposits within the liner. This is particularly true if you get un-seasoned wood which is rich in creosote and can leave your flu in a nasty mess. You still need to have your chimney cleaned after using it, but the point is, it seems to crystalise and loosen the muck which makes it easier to sweep away. I'm not sure if you would need to use it as often as the manufacturers would like you to, but I get one each year, just before the winter chill sets in. Before I used the log the gunk around the inspection hatch was very tacky, a bit like hardening chewing gum. After use it did change to a more crystaline structure and cleaned away much easier. I am assuming that what happen in the hatch - happened throughout the flue liner.
    Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport