SPARK energy big problem!!

Options

Comments

• svahern
    Options
    Well I never even heard of Spark today and I got a balliffs notice through my door today saying I owe them £200.00 -

Is this even legal ? can i sue them ?
  • svahern
    Options
    reading the complaints above it looks like im not the only one - this company is a joke
  • Jonnyg1974
    Options
    I've been reading all the problems tenants have been having with spark energy but I've just bought a flat, ie., i'm NOT a tenant, and yet a letting agent not connected with the property at all was able to appoint spark energy as my electricity supplier as well without my authority or knowledge. Has anyone else come across this problem? I'd appreciate if they could get in touch. Thanks
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    At a guess, it seems that that a Letting Agent who handled the flat prior to your ownership, took Sparks shilling and made them the the supplier - This situation will continue until you or a tenant Switches the supplier.

When the flat is untenanted, you as the Landlord can insist the the property is Switched to another supplier, and tell the the LA that they can't Switch the flat to Spark.
    It it is tenanted, you advise the renters that they are free to Switch to any supplier they choose, though for a smooth changes for tenancy they inform you which supplier they are with
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 April 2016 at 10:02PM
    Options
    Jonnyg1974 wrote: »
    I've been reading all the problems tenants have been having with spark energy but I've just bought a flat, ie., i'm NOT a tenant, and yet a letting agent not connected with the property at all was able to appoint spark energy as my electricity supplier as well without my authority or knowledge. Has anyone else come across this problem? I'd appreciate if they could get in touch. Thanks

How did they (the unconnected letting agency) know your name? :huh:

Or did they put the account in their own name?
  • Hi Jonnyg1974

Sorry to hear about this.

If you've just bought the property and haven't put an arrangement in place to use Spark Energy, then it sounds like this has been an error, and we'd be happy to put things right.

The only time we should be the supplier is if a previous tenant or owner has used Spark (meaning you've inherited us as a supplier - there's no obligation to stay with Spark) or if a current landlord or tenant has asked Spark to order the supplies (that doesn't sound like the case here as you've just bought the property).

If you contact me using the details in my profile I'd be happy to see what the situation is and put things right for you. I'd just need confirmation of your full name and supply address including postcode.

Kind regards

Jenny
    Customer Relations Manager
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Spark Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Peter29
    Peter29 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Well well a reply from Spark!

After 3 years of cheap electricity I've now left Spark but have cause to complain about their billing and failure to pay a credit balance.

I own my home and switched through choice to the best available tariff for my area and usage. BUT their billing is bizarre and illegal. Any error and they delete invoices apply notional credits and then reinvoice so that it is nearly impossible to reconcile your account and their Invoices and billing history do not agree.

Their latest move when I complained that they had not paid my full credit balance was to delete all invoices and recalculate on a mythical tariff so that I owed them money! Then they said they would negotiate a discount on what I owed!
    That is fraud!

So come on Spark defend that.
  • Bryan_Archer
    Options
    I am 67.After 6 happy years a good tenant,my landlord decided to sell.2 months notice,eviction day December 25th! The property was put into the hands of estate agents 'Goadsby'.They immediately triggered 'Article Spark Energy' thus earning themselves a valuable fee.Meanwhile the local council negotiated with my landlord allowing me to remain in the property until sheltered accommodation became available for me.However the digital wheels of Spark Energy were turning.A steady stream of letters arrived from Sparky,originally to the 'occupier' more recently to the 'bill payer'.I have made a collection of these,including the one that now tells me I owe them £173.58 to be paid by March 10th.(oops).I have also ignored them.What astounds me is that they have had the POWER to close down my water supply (within 7 days of being cut off) and they cancelled my contract with my energy supplier.Sorted the first one,still working on the second one.
  • Hi Bryan Archer

I'm very sorry to hear about this.

Something's gone wrong here, as I wouldn't have expected Spark to become the supplier of this property if it's being sold.

I'd be happy to help put things right, so if you need help, please feel free to email to email me using the address on my profile.

If you get in touch, please provide your full name and your supply address.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards

Jenny
    Customer Relations Manager

I am 67.After 6 happy years a good tenant,my landlord decided to sell.2 months notice,eviction day December 25th! The property was put into the hands of estate agents 'Goadsby'.They immediately triggered 'Article Spark Energy' thus earning themselves a valuable fee.Meanwhile the local council negotiated with my landlord allowing me to remain in the property until sheltered accommodation became available for me.However the digital wheels of Spark Energy were turning.A steady stream of letters arrived from Sparky,originally to the 'occupier' more recently to the 'bill payer'.I have made a collection of these,including the one that now tells me I owe them £173.58 to be paid by March 10th.(oops).I have also ignored them.What astounds me is that they have had the POWER to close down my water supply (within 7 days of being cut off) and they cancelled my contract with my energy supplier.Sorted the first one,still working on the second one.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Spark Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Bryan_Archer
    Options
    Thank you for your response. I' m waiting to see what my energy provider is going to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure