We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

MSE News: Royal Mail reveals inflation-busting stamp price rises

135

Comments

  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,920 Forumite
    10,000 Posts
    My local Asian convenience store already charges 60p for a first class stamp.

    I am intrigued as to how a shop can have a nationality - is that the same as my local Swiss Boots store? :confused:
    Gone ... or have I?
  • sassyblue
    sassyblue Posts: 3,793 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    elektra wrote: »
    RM will honour it but no guarantees that a new owner of RM will.

    yes but the thread isn't about a potential new owner of RM is it?
    dmg24 wrote: »
    I am intrigued as to how a shop can have a nationality - is that the same as my local Swiss Boots store? :confused:

    Are you trying to imply racism? Lots of shops have 'nationalities' like the Chinese shop l buy ingredients from and the Polish shops too :eek:


    Happy moneysaving all.
  • Lynsey wrote: »
    No sorry, I haven't got access to their wage packets and I've no doubt they won't be shouting from the roof-tops what they are earning - but ther was an uproar when Mr Bryson was allegedly reported as getting £200k for 2 days work per week.
    Who does have the "true" facts??
    Who can supply them??
    How much do you think the top bosses at RM earn (with bonuses)??
    Is it a fair reflection on what the "workers" get??

    What I "do" know though, is that millions would be willing do his job (even job share with him) and get the same result - run the company at a loss. ;)

    But that's all politics.

    Lynsey

    as a public company it's not hard to find out it finances...



    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/may/20/royal-mail-profits-up


    just wondering why you claim the're making a loss and the bosses are on £1m+....when neither is true

    also don't know why you have symphathy for the posties, who don't do themselves any favours by walking out every 5 minutes...
  • sassyblue wrote: »
    Are you trying to imply racism? Lots of shops have 'nationalities' like the Chinese shop l buy ingredients from and the Polish shops too :eek:
    This is true, I'm mixed background, so are lots of my friends, we have the Turkish supermarket, the Polish shop, the Indian shop, it helps define, slightly, which one we mean in a road with 300 shops! I can't actually pronounce their shop names often :o
  • Adam Crozier was expected to get towards £3 million on leaving the Royal Mail.
    Top staff whilst not on millions may well pocket millions on privatisation.
  • Lynsey
    Lynsey Posts: 9,486 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    swannee_d wrote: »
    just wondering why you claim the're making a loss and the bosses are on £1m+....when neither is true

    also don't know why you have symphathy for the posties, who don't do themselves any favours by walking out every 5 minutes...

    I have sympathy with more than just the postal workers - in fact all poorly paid workers, especially when the tops bosses are genarally "milking it".

    The £1m+ was a guestimate based on media coverings of what top bosses get. I will gladly accept any figures you put forward as being true.

    The losses came from this quote, posted on the day of the increase:
    In the last financial year, Royal Mail lost £163million on stamped mail, which is equivalent to 6.4p for every item it handled.

    It's the stamped mail where the massive increases have been made.

    Anyway, that's enough from me - MERRY XMAS. :beer:

    Lynsey
    **** Sealed Pot Challenge - Member #96 ****
    No. 9 target £600 - :staradmin (x21)
    No. 6 Total £740.00 - No. 7 £1000.00 - No. 8 £875.00 - No. 9 £700.00 (target met)
  • I just thought, it may well be a myth, but I was under the impression that a stamp could not be sold past it's face value? Or does that not count since they now just say 1st and 2nd?
  • I was thinking the answer might be a third class post, one which takes a week to deliver. Maybe then the most important things will arrive in a reasonable time, maybe even before midday! Of course the question is whether or not that would make more money, I doubt it will happen if it won't make more money.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,920 Forumite
    10,000 Posts
    sassyblue wrote: »
    yes but the thread isn't about a potential new owner of RM is it?



    Are you trying to imply racism? Lots of shops have 'nationalities' like the Chinese shop l buy ingredients from and the Polish shops too :eek:

    No, are you? I was asking LeeUK what he meant by his local Asian convenience store. :p
    Gone ... or have I?
  • dmg24 wrote: »
    No, are you? I was asking LeeUK what he meant by his local Asian convenience store. :p

    Why?

    I'm sure everyone is familiar with the concept of what a Asian convenience store is.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.