Knock on door from Scottish & Southern - is this a scam?

Options
2 guys claiming to be from Scottish & Southern have just knocked on my door, claiming that the supply of our electricity is changing because their company have taken over the power station that supplies us. They said we should have had a letter about it 2 weeks ago. They wanted to know which energy supplier I was with as it only affects customers of "the big 5" (their words, not mine).

We've had no letter about this, the 2 men didn't know my name and when I asked for their names & a phone number to ring so I could check if they were genuine they wouldn't give them. They asked for my name so they could send another letter in the post, I didn't tell them as I said they should already have it on their database if they know who I am. They are currently knocking on all the other doors in the street.

I suspect this may be a scam to get me to change energy supplier - has anyone else had a similar experience?

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    No experience, but I read something similar, it is a change over scam, the bit about local power station is just rubbish

You were right to be suspicious and not fall for it
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • wr1ght
    wr1ght Posts: 407 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    defo a sales tatic
  • JasX
    JasX Posts: 3,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Scam, fortunately if they don;t know who you are and not have your meter numbers they'll struggle to forge your signature and switch you.... watch out for suspicious 'sorry you are leaving' letters from your current supplier tho.
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    It is not so much a scam as a sales tactic. Southern say that they are not supposed to do this - but they obviously are failing to put a stop to it. Another blatant lie they try is that your supplier is a foreign company so you are paying unnecessary VAT.

But the answer is simple. Don't buy from cold calls at the door or on the phone
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    Options
    sales scam make sure they havent changed you over
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 December 2010 at 5:18PM
    Options
    Minerva69 wrote: »
    2 guys claiming to be from Scottish & Southern have just knocked on my door, claiming that the supply of our electricity is changing because their company have taken over the power station that supplies us. They said we should have had a letter about it 2 weeks ago. ...

If in doubt contact Scottish & Southern on their advertised number.

If the guys are genuine, they will be happy to wait whilst you verify their identity.

If they are not happy to wait, or on checking with the company, they are not authorised representatives, call the police immediately using 999.
    The fact they would not give you their names or a phone number (although use one that is nationally advertised, not one they provide - it could be their mate's around the corner!) suspects they are up to no good.

CALL THE POLICE NOW ON 999 WHILST THEY ARE STILL IN YOUR STREET!
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • backfoot
    backfoot Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    Options
    It is not so much a scam as a sales tactic.

No it's a scam. Report them to S&S, they should know who is out covering that area.

Make a formal complaint, so that you get a reply and it is logged. These matters are being logged and monitored as part of an ongoing investigation into doorstep selling.

You may want to report it to Consumer Focus as well, who will let trading Standards know.
  • davidgmmafan
    Options
    Its all too common a story and all suppliers are at it. My favourite line is the foreign company one, followed by the power station one. The other one they try is where they give a quote and then ask you to sign so they can send out the infromation.

Once 14 days have passed the transfer can't be stopped and you have to use the cumbersome ET process which is supposed to put things back as they were but is far from foolproof.
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • Haarlem
    Haarlem Posts: 345 Forumite
    edited 17 December 2010 at 3:27AM
    Options
    backfoot wrote: »
    No it's a scam. Report them to S&S, they should know who is out covering that area.

Make a formal complaint, so that you get a reply and it is logged. These matters are being logged and monitored as part of an ongoing investigation into doorstep selling.

You may want to report it to Consumer Focus as well, who will let trading Standards know.

Scottish and Southern are not interested in investigating the way their reps get new customers.

Customer Focus were recording and logging, but as they are being abolished I think interest in the mis-selling issue has waned.
  • backfoot
    backfoot Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    Options
    Haarlem wrote: »
    Scotish and Southern are not interested in investigating the way their reps get new customers.

Customer Focus were recording and logging, but as they are being abolished I think interest in the mis-selling issue has waned.

So none of this is relevant?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11150541

What inside knowledge do you have which overrides this?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure