Welcome Newbies and Lurkers

Options

Comments

• ani_26
    ani_26 Posts: 3,700 Forumite
    Options
    Beat me to it JMV, how are you today?

Nohope xx
    Debt free - Is it a state of mind? a state of the Universe? or a state of the bank account?
    free from life wannabe

Official Petrol Dieter
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone!

A message for any new people lurking out there - forget what you have been told about " a friend of a friend knows this bloke who went bankrupt and walked away laiughing from thousands of debt, then started up a new business in his wife's name...." - or some similar urban myth. I am not bankrupt myself but I have seen people on this forum who illustrate that going bankrupt is a tough option to take and requires courage. So, whether it's bankruptcy, IVA, DMP, DRO or whatever the solution, don't be ashamed - you are facing up to the reality of your debt situation and are trying to sort it out, and that's what matters.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    A message for any new people lurking out there - forget what you have been told about " a friend of a friend knows this bloke who went bankrupt and walked away laiughing from thousands of debt, then started up a new business in his wife's name...." - or some similar urban myth.

That flip side of that is that there are many urban myths that make bankruptcy sound scarier and harsher than it really is.

Like bailiffs will come and empty your house. They will take your kids toys. You will always lose your home no matter what. You can’t have a bank account or manage your own finances any more. And many many many more.............

So people, please post and learn the truth from people who have been through it. Not what someone down the pub says, or a well meaning but misinformed friend/relative, or anyone else that only has hearsay to work from etc.....
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I have found a similar situation with IVAs - lots of people say they should be avoided like the plague, but they are the right solution for some, me for one. So I would also say don't be judgmental about a particular method of sorting out your debts until you have got professional advice from organisations like CAB, CCCS etc, and talked with people who have been through it themselves. As Martin says, there is no debt problem that cannot be solved somehow.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    I've nothing against IVAs. Just the companies that push them solely for their own profits, regardless of whether it is really the best option for someone.

I'll say no more than that, as I don't want this thread turn into an argument on that.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • lemon1
    lemon1 Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    Just wanted to say hello.... I'm 3 months into my BR on Tuesday, I've been through some very mentally difficult times but I'm doing it.. I'm one quarter the way through!!!

I'm so thankful I found this place, it's been a lifeline to me.

So if anyone is reading this feeling as scared or as alone I was 6 months ago, I'm glad you found us.

There are so many REAL people here who have been through, going through, about to go through BR- we can support you and give you advice... give us a post and say hello :)

Lemon x
  • confused76
    confused76 Posts: 12,680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nice to hear from you lemon. i hope things improve for you, stay strong :) xxx
  • IF
    IF Posts: 34,349 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 June 2011 at 10:07AM
    Options
    Welcome to the Bankruptcy Board.
    Hello and Welcome, Many of the posters on here have been through bankruptcy. They will be able to help, advise and also offer you support. We do have poster's who have/do work for the OR and Debt charities too.

Written by Fermi our board guide:-
    Many people find that debt and bankruptcy is the cause or result of a period of great distress and anxiety in their lives. For some this can reach a stage where it is difficult to cope. So I would remind you that The Samaritans are available to help you through your troubles if the emotional side threatens to become overwhelming.
    Helpful Links and Information.

To post your question go to the top left hand side of BR board, opposite the page numbers and press the "New Thread" button as shown below:
    newthread.gif

And type in the Title to your thread. If your post doesn’t get answered straight away please don’t lose heart, it’s often due to not being a 100% sure we would be giving the correct answer. If you find your post is not answered and it’s on page 2, please ‘bump’ your post back up the board.

We often ask you to post your SOA so we can see if you have included what you need to:-
    MSE SOA Calculator - Click here Select the MSE format at the end. Copy and paste onto your thread.

For ‘essential’ BR info this is Fermi’s sticky - Click here

BR Abbreviations - Click here

IVA & DRO Board - Click here

If you are new/old to this board and receive/see a comment that is not helpful or insensitive please don’t let it put you off posting, often these comments are made by people who don’t normally contribute to this board and don’t speak for us.

What to do if you get an insensitive or hurtful comment - Click here

Best wishes
    If...x
    "If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride"
  • dojoman
    dojoman Posts: 12,027 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Lemon, well done 3 months gone, before you know it the rest of the time will fly by :)
    :pB&SC No. 298
    Life`s Tragedy is that we get OLD too soon
    and WISE too late!
  • IF
    IF Posts: 34,349 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 February 2011 at 7:43PM
    Options
    MSEAndrea.jpg
    Welcome to the Bankruptcy Board.

Hello and Welcome, Many of the posters on here have been through bankruptcy. They will be able to help, advise and also offer you support. We do have poster's who have/do work for the OR and Debt charities too.

Many people find that debt and bankruptcy is the cause or result of a period of great distress and anxiety in their lives. For some this can reach a stage where it is difficult to cope. So I would remind you that The Samaritans are available to help you through your troubles if the emotional side threatens to become overwhelming.

To post your question go to the top left hand side of BR board, opposite the page numbers and press the "New Thread" button as shown below:
    newthread-2.gif

If your post doesn’t get answered straight away please don’t lose heart, it’s often due to not being a 100% sure we would be giving the correct answer. If you find your post is not answered and it’s on page 2, please ‘bump’ your post back up the board.

We often ask you to post your SOA so we can see if you have included what you need to.

MSE SOA Calculator - Click here

Select the MSE format at the end. Copy and paste onto your thread.

If you are new/old to this board and receive/see a comment that is not helpful or insensitive please don’t let it put you off posting, often these comments are made by people who don’t normally contribute to this board and don’t speak for us.

What to do if you get an insensitive or hurtful comment - Click here

For ‘essential’ BR info this is Fermi’s sticky - Click here

BR Abbreviations - Click here

Debt Relief Orders - Information & help - Click here

IVA - Individual Voluntary Arrangement board - Click here

Best wishes
    If...x
    "If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories