Phoenix Gas

Options

Comments

• edtheduck_2
    edtheduck_2 Posts: 256 Forumite
    Options
    hi
    just wondering can anyone tell me 'roughly' how much it costs to get phoenix gas into a 3 bed semi? i have been to their site and the current offers leaflet, but it seems very detailed and doesnt really say what a rough guide price would be.
    with the price of oil atm ...might just think about gas now!!
    thanks
  • Caveman_4
    Caveman_4 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    edtheduck, We moved into our current place about a year ago and converted to phoenix gas. Pretty big 4 bed semi and it cost us £1900 to install phoenix gas, keeping the original radiators. Now we upgraded to some fancy Ferroli super efficient boiler rather than the bog standard one which cost us £150 extra. If we'd have taken the standard boiler we'd have got a free gas fire with it but it wasn't something that suited us. Anyhow, you should be look at a touch over £1500 but gas has shot up recently so make sure you have your walls and attic insulated and all drafty doors dealt with.
  • SteveyJC
    SteveyJC Posts: 346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    eddie wrote:
    What's an 'average' Phoenix gas bill?
    Trying to arrange DD payments with Phoenix and what they're suggesting seems very high to me. Between £60-£85 per month!!??

This has got me worried. I am in the process of buying a new house that has Phoenix already installed. I'm not sure if there is a meter or not, does this mean that I have to agree to a DD price with them?

I'm a single bloke, and wont be in the house much (long work hours, so would use very little gas for heating/cooking)

Any help would be appreciated

Stevey
    if i had known then what i know now
  • Caveman_4
    Caveman_4 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    SteveyJC. I wouldn't worry much. Our gas bill is £70 a month but then i have a wife the a penchant for a cosy* house. She has all been off on maternity leave for the last six months which has pumped up our usage during the expensive daytime. In our last property, a 3 bed semi new build we were paying about £30 a month.

The way you describe yourself and your usage pattern i'd reckon you'll be toward the lower end of the scale. There will be a meter on your house, probably on the outside wall that you have a wee plastic triangular key to open. You have to report readings a few times a year i think. I am pretty sure there is a discount for setting up a DD. Suggest say £30-35 a month to start and after 6 month see if you are up or down and then adjust accordingingly.

Cavey

* when i say cosy i really mean !!!!!!! sweltering...i tend to sit infront of the open fridge in my uderpants for a break. :cool:
  • SteveyJC
    SteveyJC Posts: 346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks caveman, appreciate that. I'll be suggesting VERY low to start with!! ha ha ha
    if i had known then what i know now
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Caveman wrote:
    * when i say cosy i really mean !!!!!!! sweltering...i tend to sit infront of the open fridge in my uderpants for a break. :cool:
    Was that you I saw on an epsode of the Simpsons :D

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • edtheduck_2
    Options
    thanks caveman - will have to weigh everything up, sounds dear enough, but with the price of oil..................
  • booklover
    booklover Posts: 897 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello

We converted from oil to Phoenix Gas about 18 months ago as we beieved it would be cheaper, cleaner etc. Well yes, advantages are, we never run out, and it is cleaner BUT it is SO EXPENSIVE :mad:

At first it was OK but there have been a number of expensive increases and now we are paying £159 per month to heat the house (1.5 hours in morning and 6 hours in evening and a few extra hours at weekends) It is very hard to pay this amount now.

If we had oil again we would be paying about £270 every 3 months!

Anybody any advice re this issue or in the same boat?

Many thanks

Fiona

PS. I suppose in another couple of months we'll be paying £180 per month!!!:(
  • andykolo
    andykolo Posts: 178 Forumite
    Options
    is you house sealed at all ???

our bill is 60 a month we shut doors and only have it on when necessary
    plus we stopped putting it on in the mornings as we are only in the house for an hour !
    all views, comments and opinions are mine and i have the right to be wrong
  • george_2
    Options
    booklover wrote:
    Hello

We converted from oil to Phoenix Gas about 18 months ago as we beieved it would be cheaper, cleaner etc. Well yes, advantages are, we never run out, and it is cleaner BUT it is SO EXPENSIVE :mad:

At first it was OK but there have been a number of expensive increases and now we are paying £159 per month to heat the house (1.5 hours in morning and 6 hours in evening and a few extra hours at weekends) It is very hard to pay this amount now.

If we had oil again we would be paying about £270 every 3 months!

Anybody any advice re this issue or in the same boat?

Many thanks

Fiona

PS. I suppose in another couple of months we'll be paying £180 per month!!!:(

£159 a month seems like a lot for the usage you describing? You got ten rooms going!?
    G/C Mar 2014 - £18.50 / £350 NSD 0/29
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport