Can I return to quarterly billing?

Tally-Ho_2
Tally-Ho_2 Posts: 369 Forumite
edited 15 December 2010 at 3:28PM in Water bills
Hi,

I am with Yorkshire Water (in Yorkshire). Where I used to live, I was on a meter, quarterly billed and got bills of circa £30 per quarter for roughly 6 cubic metres per quarter (I am very frugal with it).

However 8 months ago I moved to a new place (still in Yorkshire with Yorkshire Water) There was no meter installed and the 'rates' were £38.00 per month. Anyway I got a meter installed asap (now 7 months ago).

When I moved though, as I was unmetered I set up a direct debit agreement. When the water meter was fitted, this carried on but they estimated my annual useage as 70 cubic meters and I was paying £30 per month by DD. I thought it was a bit high but as I now had a garden for the first time and thus needed to water plants in the summer, I left it as it was.

Anyway, I have been keeping an eye on my meter and have submitted monthly readings but never had a bill from them. After 7 months I have only used 14 cubic meters - hence according to them, I am £105 in credit.

I asked about going back to quarterly billing (I am quite happy to submit readings online as I do with the electric) but they seemed to want me to stay on direct debit and lower my monthly payments. However I don't want it going so low I end up owing them, nor so high I am in credit.

Can I demand to go back to quarterly billing instead?. I would ring them but it is an 0845 number - I gave up after 10 minutes!

Thanks

Comments

• Gothicfairy
    Gothicfairy Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    You can not demand quarterly billing if they don't offer that anymore ( some companies don't STW etc) but you can demand that the DD is cancelled and that you pay when the bill arrives. It could be you will now get a bill every 6 months and if you are happy with that just go down that route.

Email them and they can sort that out
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
  • Thanks Gothic Fairy - have e-mailed them.

I shall await their reply
  • Just an update to my posting.

I recevied an e-mail back from Yorkshire Water. I have now been transferred to quarterly billing. Iwill however keep sending in monthly meter readings so I know any 'estimated' bills sent will be more accurate.

As this months direct debit had just gone through, I am now £135 in credit based on the meter reading I sent in the e-mail. I have cancelled the direct debit with my bank to ensure no further paymentsare made.

As my quarterly bill should be circa £35 to £40 per quarter, I now have a few 'free bills' to come until my current credit balance is reduced to nil.

Thanks again.

Tally
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family