Electricity night time usage mystery

Options
Dustykitten
Dustykitten Posts: 16,503 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Please help us solve this puzzle.

We have an E:On usage meter and have uploaded our first lot of data. We are really confused to see that our usage has a peak between 2-4am and then a bigger peak between 4-6 dropping back low after this.

No use of DW/WM at this time
No nightstorage
No items on timer

Any idea what his could be? DH leaves his pc on standby all the time so will be switching off totally tonight. We do have a virgin box which is left on and obviously fridge/freeze.

Kids have been quizzed that they are not up in the night so that leaves the 3 cats.

Any thoughts. I like my bed too much to get up and investigate at that time but I might have to. Usage between 12-2 am is 7p on average but the next two band jump to between 14p and 25p.
The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair

Comments

• saveallmymoney
    Options
    PC waking for windows updates at 3am?
  • Dustykitten
    Options
    PC waking for windows updates at 3am?

Thanks - I said that to DH but he said that they don't wake up if on standby - I don't beleive that so told him to switch it off properly last night. Wonder if the kids lappies are doing that too. I'll make sure they are all switched off tonight - thanks
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It would be useful if you could tell us what you do leave on overnight, rather than what you don't have on overnight.

Also if you could tell us how much actual energy is used rather than the cost, that would help too :)

It could be a combination of things. e.g. the fridge/freezer compressor(s) cutting in could account for some.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,601 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would suspect the monitor. I have one and it gives odd readings. Since 4am on December 1 it only shows data at 2 hourly intervals, up until then (since June) it was hourly. It looks like mine gives the 2 hour window starting FROM the time given as it gave 1.5kWh for 04:00 yesterday. OH did get up and have a shower at 05:30 so maybe that is included.
    But, comparing actual meter readings for the 13th and the corresponding figures from the "hourly" data, the meter says I used 8.9kWh and e.on's gadget says 10.35kWh. Long ago I concluded it was a good indicator of when you are using power but not how much. Your meter is what you are being billed against, take a reading off that last thing at night and first thing in the morning to see if it gives a comparable value to the monitor.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Dustykitten
    edited 15 December 2010 at 8:40PM
    Options
    Premier wrote: »
    It would be useful if you could tell us what you do leave on overnight, rather than what you don't have on overnight.

Also if you could tell us how much actual energy is used rather than the cost, that would help too :)

It could be a combination of things. e.g. the fridge/freezer compressor(s) cutting in could account for some.

Average usage

00:00-02:00 0.65kw
    02:00-04:00 1.7
    04:00-06:00 2.25
    06:00-08:00 1.00

the 04:00-06:00 is about the same as our 8pm useage when kids have tv on, lights are on etc. It is very odd.

Things that are on:
    fridge
    freezer
    fridge/freezer
    heat/water comes on at 6:00/6:30am

tvs etc all left plugged in but not on standby.
    Virgin box left on
    digital clocks
    DH pc sometimes on standby
    Landing light left on
    porch light left on

I think that is it.
  • davidgmmafan
    Options
    That is random, conclusion home energy monitors are more trouble than they are worth.

Only kidding.

I really am stumped though, anybody know how a fridge freezer works? Does it draw power evenly or as and when needed? Even then it would normally use 2-3 units in a 24 hour period. Hmm.
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • Dustykitten
    edited 15 December 2010 at 9:10PM
    Options
    I'm going to look at the alertme figures tomorrow. I find them difficult to compare because they are over different time periods/scales.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,601 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My fridge/freezer is one of those with an anti frost feature. It appears that this operates about once every 10 hours or so and uses about 800W against the usual 400W when just the compressor cuts in. If the fridge is just switched on, full of food and not opened, it seems to use about 1.5kWh per day, but I think in normal use it is more than double that.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Please help us solve this puzzle.

We have an E:On usage meter and have uploaded our first lot of data. We are really confused to see that our usage has a peak between 2-4am and then a bigger peak between 4-6 dropping back low after this.

No use of DW/WM at this time
    No nightstorage
    No items on timer

Any idea what his could be? DH leaves his pc on standby all the time so will be switching off totally tonight. We do have a virgin box which is left on and obviously fridge/freeze.

Kids have been quizzed that they are not up in the night so that leaves the 3 cats.

Any thoughts. I like my bed too much to get up and investigate at that time but I might have to. Usage between 12-2 am is 7p on average but the next two band jump to between 14p and 25p.

Hi Dustykitten

Already some excellent advice on here. Thought I would just confirm a couple of points.

In particular, as victor says, our energy monitors are not the most accurate device about. Rather, their main use is in making people aware of when electricity is being consumed.

The most accurate way of measuring your usage is by keeping an eye on your meter. I would check this before you go to bed and again in the morning. See how much electricity has been used over night.

Do this over several days and see if a consistent pattern emerges.

This will allow you to build up a much better picture of your ongoing usage.

Hope this is useful Dustykitten. Give me a shout if you need any more info as will be happy to help.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • blazemore
    Options
    If by Standby, you mean a Windows computer on "Sleep mode" (NOT shutdown), then yes, scheduled tasks can wake them up.
    My Linux box wakes up at 3am and installs any updates, performs a backup, then puts itsself back to sleep.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure