PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Thank you for your understanding.

How important is a garage?

Replies

• jackomdjjackomdj Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    single garage at a minimum for a house that size. As previous posters have mentioned in a family house you need storage for all the outside things that families amass - or in my case all the boys toys that grown men have! We are looking to move next year & a double garage is one of our requirements, mostly for OH & a mini bit for the children!
  • MogletMoglet Forumite
    166 Posts
    i'd be lost without mine and would never buy a large family house without a garage

I expect your username and avatar give your reason for a garage away. :D

A garage is very important to us but we don't have one and have to make do with a lockup for our bikes.

Personally I don't like it when I see houses that have converted their garages.
  • DUTRDUTR Forumite
    13K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I would not buy a house without a useable garage.
  • PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Garages are essential... my perfect house would have a double garage with extra depth so the rear end could be used for good storage too.
  • We've kept the front 8 feet or so of our garage, and have converted the rear into an office, with a window in the side of the house. It's important to us for storage, so 8 feet is fine. As it's a newish house, it was never going to be adequate for a garage anyway.
  • GeenieGeenie Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    All the houses where I live of 4/5 bedroom size don't have a garage!! But they have a decent drive to park their cars on.

It has not put people off buying as prices are high where I live, but you need to factor in storage space outside. This isn't for cars but all of the other stuff we need to store out of the house. So invest in a good size shed would be my advice, as this is what men want....to store their lawn mowers and train sets etc. ;) Good luck OP. :)

"Life is difficult. Life is a series of problems. What makes life difficult is that the process of confronting and solving problems is a painful one." M Scott Peck. The Road Less Travelled.
  • Eric1Eric1 Forumite
    490 Posts
    chris8 wrote: »
    House been on market over a year now, was sold, fell thru, couple of offers not accepted by us. Am now fed up of showin people round. There was little negative feedback but a couple of people said that for a 4/5 bed house they would have expected more space downstairs...
    and a garage, of course. These people won't come back if you convert the garage.
    On the other hand, serious buyers may deduct the cost from their maximum offer and then convert the garage to their own taste.
  • diablediable Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    A garage or a shed is where you hide your husband away when you invite your friends around........
  • getmore4lessgetmore4less Forumite
    46.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    The move to integral garage is the problem

Big upstairs over smaller downstairs no way round this.

Extend a sun/garden room that is usable all year round

Why can't you create something where the parking is?
  • edited 13 December 2010 at 10:25AM
    tyllwydtyllwyd Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    edited 13 December 2010 at 10:25AM
    We've got a 4-bed house with off-road parking for two/three cars and a big garden with three sheds, one as big as a small garage (and plenty of room for more sheds if you were so inclined). I do worry that the lack of a garage is putting people off from viewing when they are looking at details on rightmove, although if they came they would see there was plenty of room for storage, just not storing a car! So I'd say if you are trying to sell, I'd be slow to lose a garage.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals