We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cancelled Easyjet Flights due to Spanish Strike

Options
I'm hoping some people on here might be able to help

My friend was due to fly to Spain on Saturday morning, but couldn't do so because of the strike. Will she be entitled to any compensation? And if so, for how much of the whole journey?

Here is the full travel.

Newcastle to Stansted via National Express : £40
Stansted to Malaga via EasyJet : Unknown
Stansted to Newcastle via Easyjet : £74 in total (£31 originally then £43 to correct the flight details :( )

Due to the flight being cancelled my friend then had to pay

Stansted to London : £10
Tube to Kings Cross : £4
Kings Cross to Sunderland : £40
Sunderland to Newcastle : £4

So a grand total of £172+

I've tried lookin on the EasyJet website but cant see the info I need

Any help would be great

Comments

• SugarSpun
    SugarSpun Posts: 8,559 Forumite
    Options
    The additional costs would be something for your friend's travel insurance, I think. With cancelled flights Easyjet give an option (found by logging into My Easyjet in the top right corner of the website) for either free transfer or a refund, but I think that's the limit of their liability. I know when they cancelled one of my flights (LPL>LGW for a connection that afternoon) I was given a refund for the full cost of my flight, but the additional costs of hiring a car and hotfooting it southwards were paid by my insurers.
    Organised Birthdays and Christmas: Spend So Far: £193.75; Saved from RRP £963.76
    Three gifts left to buy
  • geordie_ben
    geordie_ben Posts: 3,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Cityboy wrote: »
    SugarSpun has already outlined what your friend is entitled to in the event of a cancellation. Refund or re-route (via the airline). They have chosen to make their own way to the destination via alternative means not arranged by the airline which the airline will decline to reimburse.

Easyjet had no flights back to Newcastle for at least another 24 hours. Not entirely sure as to what they said regarding my friend making their own way.

But basically regarding making her own way home she'll need to contact her insurers?

What about the EJ flight back to Newcastle which was booked for when she returned from the Holiday? As obvs this wasn't needed after she couldn't get to spain - hope that makes sense
  • geordie_ben
    First Anniversary
    Options
    SugarSpun wrote: »
    With cancelled flights Easyjet give an option (found by logging into My Easyjet in the top right corner of the website) for either free transfer or a refund, but I think that's the limit of their liability.

I cant seem to find this on the screen anywhere.

I've logged into EJ, gone to my booking, clicked on the flight and these are the only clickable links I can see are..

Your Bookings
    Your Contact Details
    Print these details
    Email me these details
    T&Cs
    Related Regulations..

Any ideas?
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • geordie_ben
    First Anniversary
    Options
    richardw wrote: »

I've looked on this, logged in thru the link but still cant find where to click regarding refunds :(
  • HXDave
    HXDave Posts: 951 Forumite
    Options
    realistically, she should have asked to have been booked on the next available flight from her current departure airport, and then ask for hotel accommodation under article 9 EU261/2004 (right of care). chances are, at this time of year, she would have got out the day later. This is exactly what my mother did, who was supposed to fly to malaga from manchester saturday afternoon. she went sunday morning, and was put up in a hotel without question (and gave meals).
    [FONT=&quot]I used to be a Travel Agent [/FONT]
    Used to be a travel agent for 23 Years, but now out of the industry. However I will help with what i can.
  • geordie_ben
    First Anniversary
    Options
    HXDave wrote: »
    realistically, she should have asked to have been booked on the next available flight from her current departure airport, and then ask for hotel accommodation under article 9 EU261/2004 (right of care). chances are, at this time of year, she would have got out the day later. This is exactly what my mother did, who was supposed to fly to malaga from manchester saturday afternoon. she went sunday morning, and was put up in a hotel without question (and gave meals).

Yups. Any advice on the situation I'm trying to help her with tho regarding compen?
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do u get these by the booking ref ?

Add Speedy Boarding
    Add luggage
    Add sports equipment
    Transfer to another flight
    Change a passenger name
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • geordie_ben
    First Anniversary
    Options
    If your friend did not travel to Spain, she is entitled to a refund for the cancelled flight(s) but not to compensation as the strike will be classified under the 'extraordinary circumstances' excuse which means the airline will not be liable for compensation.

Have a read of the full reg here: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:32004R0261:EN:HTML

Sorry, when I say compensation I actually mean refund - oops!

She didnt book the flights to Spain, her friend did. Can my friend get refunded for the flight from Stansted to Newcastle?
    richardw wrote: »
    Do u get these by the booking ref ?

Add Speedy Boarding
    Add luggage
    Add sports equipment
    Transfer to another flight
    Change a passenger name

Nopes

Is this not cos the flight has passed?

Any one got any ideas how I can paste a screen print so I can show you all what I can see?
  • geordie_ben
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Press the 'Print Screen' button on your keyboard and then just paste it into the thread.

It wont work.... i can paste it anywhere else but not in the thread for some reason, when i right click in the text box i dont even get the option to paste
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport