We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Quick Question re: Booking Flights

Options
Sorry if this has been posted before but I can't seem to find the simple answer to my simple question...

If you book a flight, are you booking on it's expected departure time or arrival time?

If you check in on time (i.e. x amount of mins before departure as per their terms and conditions), and you're in Departures, if they then bring forward the departure time of the aircraft because they have got an earlier slot and you don't hear announcements for whatever reason.. if you miss the call for the flight because the woman in the shop has got a really loud voice etc... , can you be compensated?

I'm not asking because this has happened to me... just wondering is all

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,569 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 December 2010 at 10:06PM
    Options
    the departure time is normally the departure time, boarding will commence about half an hour before then with the intention that the doors will be closed, aircraft pushed back and ready to go at the time it is scheduled to go. You are usually told (often on the boarding card) to be at the gate/gate closes 30 mins before departure...boarding should normally be completed around 10 mins before scheduled departure time - sometimes earlier if coaching involved.

If you don't hear the announcement because you are not in the departure gate then the airline has 2 choices - wait for you -in which case they could miss their airtraffic slot which could incurr a significant delay or get your bags off and go without you (might also cause a delay)

I fly every week and it is not uncommon for the plane to be off stand and on the runway ready to takeoff at the scheduled departure time

re slots coming forward - this would normally be in the situation that the flight has been delayed - you would normally be advised of the estimated time of departure but told to listen out for announcements/keep checking the screens...this is when problems may arise
  • jessc_2001
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    re slots coming forward - this would normally be in the situation that the flight has been delayed - you would normally be advised of the estimated time of departure but told to listen out for announcements/keep checking the screens...this is when problems may arise

This is the crux of my question. If the flight is checked in as normal, the check in closes as normal, and we're all doing our thing in departures as normal... if the airline gets an earlier departure slot, and the passengers don't hear the announcement saying that the flight is leaving EARLIER than advertised and subsequently miss it, what are the passengers rights?

As I said earlier, I'm not saying it has happened to me, I'm just planning for when and if it should happen! Those who don't find out have no excuse...
  • cactusdust
    Options
    That won't happen.. if everyone is onboard and the flight is ready to go there is the possibility an earlier slot could be secured, but not in the way you're saying.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,569 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is unlikely to happen for a regularly scheduled flight due to depart at it's scheduled time. It is the passengers responsibility to get to the departure gate at the designated time to allow the plane to board and leave on time.
    As cactusdust says (and it has happened to me) there may be a slot delay and often they will board on time for a scheduled departure then the captain can advise ATC that he/she is all set so can request an earlier slot.
    An earlier departure time may happen if there is a delay due to a technical problem or late inbound aircraft say and the airline operations may decide to swap aircraft so one becomes available for an earlier than estimated departure but in this situation people would be advised on checking in to keep listening and watching in case it comes forward.
    I probably fly at least 40 flights per year and have yet to encounter a situation where an on time flight has taken off early - often we push back off stand before (especially Heathrow) as it takes so long to taxi to the runway however the boarding cards are clear that you need to be at the gate 30 mins before departure and when it gets to end of boarding they will offload those passengers that have not presented themselves rather than delay the 100+ people that have boarded on time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport