Dla to be replaced by pip

Options
The DWP have confirmed that disability living allowance (DLA) is to be abolished and replaced by a new benefit called Personal Independence Payment (PIP) in 2013/14. All existing DLA claimants will be reassessed for PIP once it is introduced.

A brief consultation has begun – but not to decide whether to replace DLA, only to decide the finer details.

From the scant information available, we look at what’s staying the same, what’s changing, why your ESA medical may also be your PIP medical and who is most likely to lose out with the introduction of PIP – designed to reduce spending on DLA by at least one fifth.

Whether you have a PIP or an ESA medical, you can be sure that it will be Atos who carry it out. The coalition have now
extended the Atos contract by a further three years, giving the multinational a virtually unbreakable stranglehold on benefits medicals.

Comments

• mandyboops1973
    Options
    Im very greatfull for the benifits i recivce i mean they governemt dosent have to give us anything at all, what i dont like is they clearly dont actualy care about disabled people they just want to look like they are doing their bit but in reality that will do their best to save as much money as possible with little regard to how disabled peoples lives will be effected
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    As usual, Benefits and Work are scaremongering.

This thread gives a more balanced view on the proposals.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Brassedoff
    Brassedoff Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options
    If true and I have no reason to doubt it to be, there will be many who receive DLA and ESA who will loose both and many other benefits. There will be destitute people unable to work, get a job or be employed classed a lazy layabouts.

All depends on this Goverment staying in power, but with lack of a real opposition the persecution of the disabled will continue unabated.
  • hrafndot
    hrafndot Posts: 2,155 Forumite
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    As usual, Benefits and Work are **********.

This thread gives a more balanced view on the proposals.

I will cut out one of your favorite words. It is only your opinion; and a lot of people have a broader range of reading and are justifiably worried. Why should we be comforted by your opinion.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    because benefits and work always scaremonger?
  • pwales_2
    pwales_2 Posts: 523 Forumite
    Options
    i think they like to scaremonger to get people worrried so they pay the money to get the solution to the problem that is not there....
    just my opinion mind !
  • snoopy89
    snoopy89 Posts: 320 Forumite
    Options
    with all this crap to worry about , maybe the goverment asses could give all on dla and iba a months holliday were ever people whant and then when we get home we can just call in at doctors and get a pill. that would save the goverment paying liers like artos and save the country a few quid. god it makes me sick the way this goverment scum are treating the disabled and inferm. and dont say its all about saveing money. things are going way to far for that. roll on the next election and may guy fawkes come back and fininsh the job.:mad:
  • Brassedoff
    edited 8 December 2010 at 12:17PM
    Options
    snoopy89 wrote: »
    with all this crap to worry about , maybe the goverment asses could give all on dla and iba a months holliday were ever people whant and then when we get home we can just call in at doctors and get a pill. that would save the goverment paying liers like artos and save the country a few quid. god it makes me sick the way this goverment scum are treating the disabled and inferm. and dont say its all about saveing money. things are going way to far for that. roll on the next election and may guy fawkes come back and fininsh the job.:mad:

Sorry, but you are so far left of field as to being out of order. There are many claiming DLA who putting it simply are swinging the lead. Too many claim illnesses as being disabled as a simple way to top up other benefits. Whilst I agree this Goverment appear to be targeting certain groups and as a recipient of DLA I use it to fund the things I need to make life bearable, others who claim for erroneous or Googled illnesses have drawn attention to this benefit as a way to top up their others. What about the two "performers" both found claiming this week? One claimed ESA, DLA and attendance allowance for a mental illness that meant he could not leave home or when he did, needed his wife to guide him, the other appeared on X factor!

I expect the usual rabble to desend on me for this view, but I care not. A while ago I posted about a group who I beleive have contrived several disabilities, I was advised to report them, I did, now it appear a few have found cures once the spotlight has been shone on them and stopped claiming, one has even lost their Motorbilty car. Action by people like this take away the help needed by genuine claimants.

I for one welcome mass reassessment, I know 100% I will pass, I can go there, they can come to me unannounced anytime. Maybe then genuine claimants will get the help they need when resources are not spread so thin, due to the PC driven desire to find labels instead of the genuine reason for laziness?

Am I at odds with others? You bet, I personally beleive there are too many contrived disabilities, tagged by people or organisations with self interest. Why do we have twice the amount of "disabled claimants" compared to other developed countries? This review, a long time coming, is long overdue.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Brassedoff wrote: »
    What about the two "performers" both found claiming this week? One claimed ESA, DLA and attendance allowance for a mental illness that meant he could not leave home or when he did, needed his wife to guide him

It is not possible to claim DLA and AA at the same time.

DLA is paid to claimants under 65yrs, and AA is paid to claimants over 65yrs.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • Brassedoff
    Options
    Sorry, I meant Carers allowance having re-read the article
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business