We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Royal Mail - Parcel Insurance

shopaholic11
shopaholic11 Posts: 20 Forumite
Hi,

I always send items I sell on ebay by Royal Mail Recorded Signed For, or Next Day Special Delivery if they're worth more than £41, as I thought that if you sent a parcel by standard delivery you could only claim the postage cost from Royal Mail if it never turns up, and not the value of the item. But is it possible to send an item as a standard First Class parcel with insurance for loss if the value is over £41?

Thanks!

Comments

• cyberbob
    cyberbob Posts: 9,480 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Just to clarify any standard post you can claim for the item value (not just the postage) up to £41 it does not need to be recorded. Recorded can actually make it more difficult to claim sometimes as it may not track online (which recorded doesnt a lot) so you may have a missing parcel but RMs internal system says its been delivered do your claim may fail. If the value is over £41 you will need to send it special delivery.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,324 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper Second Anniversary
    Hi,

I always send items I sell on ebay by Royal Mail Recorded Signed For, or Next Day Special Delivery if they're worth more than £41, as I thought that if you sent a parcel by standard delivery you could only claim the postage cost from Royal Mail if it never turns up, and not the value of the item. But is it possible to send an item as a standard First Class parcel with insurance for loss if the value is over £41?

Thanks!
    Standard parcels can be quite slow but are fairly cheap and the price includes cover up to 41 pounds like other RM services. However you can pay extra to get greater compensation

£1 up to £100 value
    £2.25 up to £250 value
    £3.50 up to £500 value
  • Thank you both!
  • raddy59
    raddy59 Posts: 333 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Cyberbob
    Surely you would then need a proof of posting

Also, I would have thought that a "signed for" delivery is better when delivering goods so the buyer can't say he hasn't received the goods?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,768 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    raddy59 wrote: »
    Cyberbob
    Surely you would then need a proof of posting

Also, I would have thought that a "signed for" delivery is better when delivering goods so the buyer can't say he hasn't received the goods?

You cna get proof of posting free of charge with any mail, just ask at the PO.

AS for tracking, if you think every buyer is a scammer then maybe selling online isn't for you.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.