PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Good knives?

Options

Comments

• competitionscafe
    Options
    You may want to change your order as the 12cm knife doesn't come with the free paring knife - "SPECIAL OFFER- Receive a Victorinox paring knife usually £2.95, FREE with 15cm, 19cm, 22cm & 25cm sizes of the cooks knife"

The 15cm is only £1 more and comes with the free knife - however the most useful size for a cooks knife is probably around 19/20cm - this (19cm) is the one I use most often although I also have a 15cm one for smaller items. My global knife is also 20cm.
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • vixtress
    vixtress Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i am thinking about getting some new knives i was going to get a sabatier set but i have read some less than great reviews.
    i will spend up to about £100.
    any recomendations ?
    what about henckels? they seem to do ok in reviews,
    - prior planning prevents poor performance!

May Grocery challenge £150 136/150
  • daisyroots_2
    Options
    I got a set from John Lewis last November, on special offer for £35. A block with 5 knives including a bread knife, I'm really happy with them, but noticed last week they have the identical set for £100. Not suggesting you buy them, but that you look around for similar offers. Have a look at Lakeland, perhaps ?
    All Art is the transfiguration of the commonplace
    Member #6 SKI-ers Club
  • Fizog
    Fizog Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    I had three sabatier knives for my wedding 23 years ago and they are still as good as they were then... a paring knife a filleting knife and a larger knife. I have a cheap bread knife from a supermarket...does what it says cuts bread.
    A good knife sharpener is important... I fully expect the knives to last me out.
  • vixtress
    Options
    Fizog wrote: »
    I had three sabatier knives for my wedding 23 years ago and they are still as good as they were then... a paring knife a filleting knife and a larger knife. I have a cheap bread knife from a supermarket...does what it says cuts bread.
    A good knife sharpener is important... I fully expect the knives to last me out.
    i know wit sounds silly but i dont know how to sharpen a knife. some of the sets ive looked at have a steel with them but i would be too scared of bluntening the kniives to use it

• Robothell
    Robothell Posts: 494 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I realise it's kind of a repeating theme here when people ask about equipment but the best advice you could follow is to buy the best you can afford......look in TK Maxx, Outlet stores, Debenhams (always have sales on) and anywhere else. I have a Viners set I bought as a student and a set of carbon steel ones that I got as a present (Anthony Worral Thompson ones - seem pretty good quality).

Have to agree with Fizog - what you need to get is a sharpening block/stone/steel - a lot of problems people have carving joints etc can be sourced to using a blunt knife.
    Life in this world is, as it were, a sojourn in a cave. What can we know of reality? For all we can see of the true nature of existence is, shall we say, no more than bewildering and amusing shadows cast upon the inner wall of the cave by the unseen blinding light of absolute truth, from which we may or may not deduce some glimmer of veracity, and we as troglodyte seekers of wisdom can only lift our voices to the unseen and say humbly "Go on, do deformed rabbit again.....it's my favourite". © Terry Pratchett in "Small Gods"

Founder member of the Barry Scott Appreciation Society
  • Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    Options
    Try looking in a local catering suppliers - they're often a bit cheaper there and they tend to have good ranges. I can really recommend well made Japanese knives, they're fantastic, although they can be pricey. I once used some that had a kind of 'ripple' pattern in the metal. I can't for the life of me remember what they were called (typhoon, monsoon? something like that) but they were fabulous.

Also, you can buy sharpening steels that are made into a kind of 'roller' that you pull the knife through once. It's much easier than sharpening them with a traditional steel. It's really important to keep the knives sharp, they'll last longer and there's little that's more dangerous than a blunt knife (I speak from experience lol!).
  • vixtress
    Options
    were they global knives, ive seen these, they are really expensive though, like 2 or 3 hundred pounds a set!!! they do look fab though. are those 'rollers' good, ive seen those and they do look simpler. i would hate to spend the money on the knives only to wreck them myself!!

• Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A friend of mine used to be a chef knives rep for shops etc and once gave me as a present a "sample": a beautiful block with 5 s/s knives - the whole range. :j

Cost: NIL ;)

However she said it's well worth spending a bit on good knives as they will last a lifetime, and learn how to use a sharpener properly.
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • Zed42
    Zed42 Posts: 930 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hmmm... I have Henckels .. 4 star .. cos they felt good.

I mean that truly, they weighed well in my hand.

If they are good quality knives, do not be afraid to sharpen them.

The Henckels need a regular sharpening with a stone (DH is a dab hand at this). However, they will last forever.

Globals I didn't get on with, a personal opinion, I felt they blunted way too often, and didn't feel right in my hands ....

I think that knives, like partners, are a very personal decision.

On a budget and being left handed - Kitchen Devils stood me in good stead ... but that was 20 odd years ago..
    GC - March 2024 -
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport