We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Hertz - Fantastic service - however issue with car damage

Options
Hi All,

We rented a car from Hertz while on our ‘once in a lifetime’ trip to South Africa.

They were great.

Sadly while on the road trip part of our journey an oncoming truck just outside of George on the western cape ‘fish tailed’ in front of us causing significant damage to the car (it never collided with us, thank heavens but the debris it kicked up leaving the highway made the front of the car look like we had been shot at repeatedly by a large bore shotgun. The windscreen was shattered)

However by the time we turned round to see if the truck driver was fine, she was stood by the cab waved to us and jumped in and drove off. I honestly think she didn’t realise she had damaged our car because she never impacted us (she did get damned close, close enough I could see the whites of her eyes)

(police were informed, crime number gained)

Now Hertz were awesome, we called them.... I was advised I would be called back in half an hour. Twenty mins later a bloke pulls up with a replacement car. The promised call back at half an hour was exactly on time where they confirmed the replacement car was satisfactory. Truly excellent service.

However... 2 things...

We have been back a few weeks now and not heard anything about the damage. From reading the T&C I know I am liable for the windscreen damage as it’s not covered under the SCDW. However the Store staff inferred due to the nature of the damage they may just lump it as one claim on the CDW and no charge would be made to us. We have checked all the paperwork and I can’t find a claims department number. When I Google all I get is the USA one.

Today we have had a £30 charge go on the card. We have no idea what for? The windscreen would be a lot more than £30. And the fuel policy was full tank... which we did. What I am worried about is that they will try and deduct more monies on or around Christmas/end of Jan, just when we can’t afford it and bounce rent or utilities payments! But I just can’t get hold of anyone to advise us of the claims progress so we can be prepared.

So does anyone have the hertz central claims number or the number for claims SA?

Thank you.

Tyger
Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport