Trying to open NS&I ISA

Options
Is anyone else having difficulties with NS&I? I did read the other thread further down but that's now been sorted!

About 2 months ago my husband and I both tried setting up mini cash ISA's with NS&I. They took the money from our bank accounts then we didn't hear anything, I rang them up and was assured that it was in process a week later rang up again to be told that as they hadn't recieved our signature verification forms back they were going to refund the money into our bank accounts, which they did.

We never recieved the forms, although NS&I insisted they'd been sent.

So as soon as we got the refund we tried again. My application has now gone through, however my husbands hasn't. He returned the signature form to them about 3 weeks ago. Last week rang them to be told all OK will get letter soon. I rang again yesturday to be told they had never recieved his signature form, and therefore they will be returning the money to his bank account again!

I have lodged a complaint with them as they have in affect had my husbands money for the best part of 2 months. Because he would have to reapply for yet another account he wouldn't get interest for this time.

Needless to say my husband is really fed up and now considering alternative accounts.

Has anyone else had these sort of problems? Not sure how many times we need to keep reaplying! I have asked them to pay compensation for the loss of interest but we're waiting to hear from them still!!

Would be interested to hear other peoples experiences.

Thank you
Jog

Comments

• Market_Oracle
    Options
    No problems, with the transfer on the account openings (2).

Maybe the problem is if they are not picking you two up on the banking system for verification purposes, i.e. that requires a manual input on their behalf.
    Money is much more exciting than anything it buys.
  • K9cuddles
    K9cuddles Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Options
    I'm just sorting out my mum's at the moment. I posted the verification from on Monday.. I'll let you know how it goes!
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 092

::£2 - CSC - Terramundi is filling up!! :: Joined 3/3/06 :: 5/2/07 - 835kg + £280 Banked!!::
    ::5p,10p & 20p - Savings Tin :: Founded 9/4/06 :: 23/3/07 - 3.2kg ::

Lost to date - 9kg (22/8/06) Next weigh in 2007!!
  • jog
    jog Posts: 333 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We've been told that there is no problem re the verification.

All the problems relate to letters which either they say they've sent us and we've not recieved or a letter we sent them and they say hasn't arrived.

I have complained to the Royal Mail but they say as the letters weren't sent by registered post they can't trace them!

NS&I say they are unable to send letters by registered post even though we offered to cover the postage in order to be able to track them!

Money is now back in hubbys bank account again, so we're now trying to decide what to do next.

Thanks for the replies.

Jog
  • Suzey
    Suzey Posts: 2,714 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had the same problem back in August. I got the form in the end, but it was a right pain in the a*se.

Suze

jog wrote:
    Is anyone else having difficulties with NS&I? I did read the other thread further down but that's now been sorted!

About 2 months ago my husband and I both tried setting up mini cash ISA's with NS&I. They took the money from our bank accounts then we didn't hear anything, I rang them up and was assured that it was in process a week later rang up again to be told that as they hadn't recieved our signature verification forms back they were going to refund the money into our bank accounts, which they did.

We never recieved the forms, although NS&I insisted they'd been sent.

So as soon as we got the refund we tried again. My application has now gone through, however my husbands hasn't. He returned the signature form to them about 3 weeks ago. Last week rang them to be told all OK will get letter soon. I rang again yesturday to be told they had never recieved his signature form, and therefore they will be returning the money to his bank account again!

I have lodged a complaint with them as they have in affect had my husbands money for the best part of 2 months. Because he would have to reapply for yet another account he wouldn't get interest for this time.

Needless to say my husband is really fed up and now considering alternative accounts.

Has anyone else had these sort of problems? Not sure how many times we need to keep reaplying! I have asked them to pay compensation for the loss of interest but we're waiting to hear from them still!!

Would be interested to hear other peoples experiences.

Thank you
    Jog
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Savings & Investments, Small Biz MoneySaving and House Buying, Renting & Selling boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the Report button, or by e-mailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • K9cuddles
    Options
    My mum's just opened her's all done and dusted in 10 working days! even the paying in book!

::£2 - CSC - Terramundi is filling up!! :: Joined 3/3/06 :: 5/2/07 - 835kg + £280 Banked!!::

• Market_Oracle
    Options
    K9cuddles wrote:
    My mum's just opened her's all done and dusted in 10 working days! even the paying in book!

There is no paying in book :confused:

Unless youve opened a different cash isa with them.
  • K9cuddles
    Options
    There is no paying in book :confused:

Unless youve opened a different cash isa with them.

Well I got one when I opened mine too!! We're talking about this right??

• Tustastic
    Tustastic Posts: 2,096 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for clarifying this K9cuddles. I was assuming this thread was about the NS&I Direct ISA that I have applied for. It is the online version and does not include a pass book. I posted my verification on 4th November. Hope everyone's application goes through efficiently.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MoneySavingExpert Forum Team
  • Market_Oracle
    Options
    K9cuddles wrote:
    Well I got one when I opened mine too!! We're talking about this right??

Nope, that one pays 4.45% ... the one you should have opened pays 5.30% and likely to rise to 5.55% in a couple of weeks time ;)
  • K9cuddles
    Options
    Nope, that one pays 4.45% ... the one you should have opened pays 5.30% and likely to rise to 5.55% in a couple of weeks time ;)

Then you've gone off topic as OP:
    About 2 months ago my husband and I both tried setting up mini cash ISA's with NS&I.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure