PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S disasters.... let us share...

Options

Comments

• hollyh
    hollyh Posts: 5,474 Forumite
    Options
    Hi i'm:rotfl: at these stories.

When i was 17 i was trying to impress my new bf with my fantastic cooking. Unfortunately i only knew 1 recipe which was macaroni cheese. I realised i didn't have any plain flour so thought i'd use sr instead, how much difference would it make? i thought. It came out like wall paper paste it was foul.

For some reason he wasn't my bf for much longer. Can't imagine what put him off.;)
  • hollyh
    hollyh Posts: 5,474 Forumite
    Options
    Oh just remembered the muffins when i forgot to add sugar. Eww

Tried to save them by making chocolate icing but the lo's just licked the icing off.
  • caffeinehit
    Options
    As a student I thought I'd try and heat water for tea in the college microwave rather than buying a kettle. I was soon headed for Argos after the resulting tea came out a pleasant shade of pastel pink.:eek:

Even after completing a science degree I've no idea what made it go pink.
  • tawnyowls
    tawnyowls Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bizzylizzy wrote:
    My attempts at sprouting seeds didn't go well

Neither did mine. I washed them religiously twice a day, but they started to ferment and the kitchen smelt like a brewery!
    SnowyOwl wrote:
    Soda bread - it's supposed to be quite flat, about an inch thick, and round, and is cooked in a frying pan. The outside of the bread was crunchy, the middle uncooked. Tried again, got the same result. The final solution in my house was to bake it in the oven. The original frying pan took several attempts and a number of different methods to get cleaned (and it still has a fair bit of black on it).

Never heard of cooking it in a frying pan - always in an oven. It's such a dense bread I can't imagine the pan being able to cook it right through without burning it. Don't think you need to beat yourself up about that.
  • Addiscomber
    Addiscomber Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hollyh
    if it only took a strange macaroni cheese to put him off then he wasn't worth having anyway.

I had a dreadful disaster on Sunday. having just convinced my sons that homemade bread is nice by making some on Friday which turned out well, I made some more. It rose beautifully, but it hadn't been in the oven long when we could smell burning. We couldn't see anything but eventually realised that smoke was coming from inside the tins underneath the bread :eek: :eek: We took it out and had to literally chisel the bread out of the tins, which were new the week before. Oddly enough one loaf is edible if we cut a thin slice off the bottom. The other was a write off. (We had had doubts about the oven for a few weeks as various things had cooked more quickly than expected or burnt. My lovely bread was its last chance. We bought a new one on Monday:D )
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    I forgot to put the paddle in the breadmaker and when the time up beeper went off there was a horrible mess and no bread.
  • Jei70
    Jei70 Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I made a storecupboard chocolate fudge cake - but even after cooking for 1 hour it didn't set and I had to throw it out :eek:

Throw it out? How about serving it in bowls, with a good dollop of whipped cream or custard (or both!) - mmmm....

Can you guess how I invented a fantastic choco fudge cream mousse... :rolleyes:
    Cogito, ergo sum.
  • vivaladiva
    vivaladiva Posts: 2,425 Forumite
    Options
    bizzylizzy wrote:
    I have Finish powerball tablets (OH bought them he's still in OS training :rolleyes: ) and I've just tried snapping one in half - it didn't work so I've sawn it in half with a knife, but some of the red ball bit has fallen off. I'll just put all the bits in with the half I think.
    Do you dilute your white vinegar for your rinse aid?

Try cutting/sawing it in half before you take the wrapper off. Tesco's D/W tablets have a disc that can be difficult to cut too.:D
    I have plenty of willpower - it's won't power I need.
  • kethry
    kethry Posts: 1,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    okay:

1) trying to make a rosti with salad potatoes (frying salad potatoes turns em green).
    2) trying a greek dish, rather like lasagne except you use macaroni pasta instead of pasta sheets, and its one set of layers: meat, macaroni, cheese sauce, from bottom up. skipped the bit that said cook the pasta first, and put the pasta in the dish uncooked, then put in the oven. (thought it was like lasagne sheets, where it cooks in the juices). result: crunchy. LOL.

3) trying to sew a huge quilt all bunched up in the machine on a too small table really doesn't help either. air was blue after that one.

4) forgetting to turn the cast iron pan off after making bacon and eggs in it, putting in water/washingup liquid (so the heat and soap works to losen the burnt bits), and leaving the room: half an hour later, lots of smoke and burnt frying pan. Amazingly, cos it was cast iron, i was able to scrub it clean and reseason - good as new. (also makes AWESOME roast potatoes and fried eggs - if anyone has a chance to get one, grab it with both hands.)

looking forward to reading everyone else's!

keth
    xx
  • tawnyowls
    tawnyowls Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hollyh
    if it only took a strange macaroni cheese to put him off then he wasn't worth having anyway.

I had a dreadful disaster on Sunday. having just convinced my sons that homemade bread is nice by making some on Friday which turned out well, I made some more. It rose beautifully, but it hadn't been in the oven long when we could smell burning. We couldn't see anything but eventually realised that smoke was coming from inside the tins underneath the bread :eek: :eek: We took it out and had to literally chisel the bread out of the tins, which were new the week before. Oddly enough one loaf is edible if we cut a thin slice off the bottom. The other was a write off. (We had had doubts about the oven for a few weeks as various things had cooked more quickly than expected or burnt. My lovely bread was its last chance. We bought a new one on Monday:D )

My immediate reaction on reading this was 'Oh flip! The bread!' I made it last night, completely forgot about it, just been to check it, and it's like a rock. Ho-hum - birds'll be having that one then.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure