🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Euro's Best ATM's in Spain

Options
I withdraw euros from ATM's in Spain using a Nationwide debit card. I am aware that Nationwide now charges for its use. However, there are various providers eg: Telebanco, Servired, etc. Does anyone know which ATM gives the best rate

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I withdraw euros from ATM's in Spain using a Nationwide debit card. I am aware that Nationwide now charges for its use. However, there are various providers eg: Telebanco, Servired, etc. Does anyone know which ATM gives the best rate

They should all give the same rate near enough.
  • melb
    melb Posts: 2,880 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been thinking about this as we always put money in a nationwide account just before our holidays in europe and just take it out as we need it over there. The exchange rate is always much better than what we would be able to get by exchanging money before we go and am thinking it's probably best to carry on doing this even taking into account the mark-up they introduced in November. does anyone else agree? (not bothered about the odd cent difference)
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options

In my experience they all give exactly the same rate, as long as you don't let them do the exchange for you.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    melb wrote: »
    I've been thinking about this as we always put money in a nationwide account just before our holidays in europe and just take it out as we need it over there. The exchange rate is always much better than what we would be able to get by exchanging money before we go and am thinking it's probably best to carry on doing this even taking into account the mark-up they introduced in November. does anyone else agree? (not bothered about the odd cent difference)

There are ways of matching the old Nationwide rate - all of which involve opening a new bank account

Metro bank, Norwich and Peterborough and (only for those who live in the area) Cumberland BS are the choices

Ther best prepaid cards are also better than the Nwide, but not he general run of them.

Used sensibly (ie not taking out small amounts) the Nwide is (just) better than most banks
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They don't give you any rate, they just give you Euros.

Nationwide does the conversion to GBP.
  • Inactive
    Options
    Biggles wrote: »
    They don't give you any rate, they just give you Euros.

Nationwide does the conversion to GBP.

They do, if you are daft enough to let them.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Inactive wrote: »
    They do, if you are daft enough to let them.
    I've been getting more suggestions lately in hotels, restaurants etc, that they would kindly offer to convert my EUR transaction to GBP.

But I've never, so far, had it on an ATM.
  • Inactive
    Options
    Biggles wrote: »
    I've been getting more suggestions lately in hotels, restaurants etc, that they would kindly offer to convert my EUR transaction to GBP.

But I've never, so far, had it on an ATM.

Strange, I get it at all /any ATM in Spain, and I use plenty of different ones, and have done so for a long time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport