🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Ryanair - Can they do this?

Options
My flight from Gatwick to Alicante was cancelled yesterday. The next available flight which Ryanair offered me was on Saturday 4th December, yet seats are still available, (0800) on flights today and tomorrow, but at £226.84, (I paid £25.00).

Is Ryanair being totally up front here?
You never know how far you can go until you go too far.

Comments

• aerostar
    aerostar Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Gatwick is closed until at least 6am Friday.

So I would take the flights offered as if you delay you may lose the flights on SAT.

http://www.gatwickairport.com/
    Winter weather: Gatwick Airport is to remain closed today

After more heavy snow overnight and with forecasts of further snow, Gatwick will remain closed until at least 6am on Friday 03 December.
    There will be no flights arriving or departing today, and passengers can expect further disruption, delays and cancellations as long as the severe weather continues. Passengers should not travel to the airport today, those scheduled to fly tomorrow should check with their airline before travelling to the airport.
    We are doing everything we can to resume operations, our teams are working around the clock to make the runway safe for aircraft to use and get our passengers flying again.
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    You should be able to go online and change the booking to the next available flight for free. (As I did yesterday for my Dad but coming from Alicante to Gatwick). I couldn't book him until Monday though.
  • aerostar
    aerostar Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Alternative perhaps for you Stansted Alicante
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 2 December 2010 at 2:50PM
    Options
    With respect, some of you have missed the point! I rebooked last night.
    As I stated, Ryanair were selling seats on FR 5563 for today and tomorrow at 8 a.m. this morning, (I have print outs), for £228.00.

My question concerns tthe legality of them not offering me the first available flights. I have asked the A.U.C. for an opinion.

I read that too Cityboy, but what does "earliest available" mean, does it mean the next available, or one that they are not able to sell for £226.

I susopect that o'Leary is up to his usual tricks, and have referred the matter to the A.U.C. for an opinion.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,141 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    With respect, some of you have missed the point! I rebooked last night.
    As I stated, Ryanair were selling seats on FR 5563 for today and tomorrow at 8 a.m. this morning, (I have print outs), for £228.00.

With respect, this mornings flight didn't go. And nobody knows yet if tomorrows will (with Gatwick airport themselves saying closed until "at least" 0600 tomorrow).

By last night Ryanair would have known that the flight this AM wasn't happening. So maybe thats whythey were not offering it as a rebook option? Perhaps it took longer to take the flight out of the sales booking engine? Perhaps there was no conspiracy?
  • Scots
    Scots Posts: 149 Forumite
    Options
    Spanish airports closed due to strike ... sorry
  • culanta
    Options
    Hi,
    Apologies i cant seem to be able to post a new thread- new user! but my complaint is about the ryanair website i have been trying all morning to book flights but they are refusing to NOT let me pay for travel insurance an Axa pop up appears EVERYTIME you cannot cancel it and the only option you have is to buy travel insurance........why i dont need.
    can anyone please help me on this - cracking up!!!!
    Thanks!
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,141 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    culanta wrote: »
    Hi,
    Apologies i cant seem to be able to post a new thread- new user! but my complaint is about the ryanair website i have been trying all morning to book flights but they are refusing to NOT let me pay for travel insurance an Axa pop up appears EVERYTIME you cannot cancel it and the only option you have is to buy travel insurance........why i dont need.
    can anyone please help me on this - cracking up!!!!
    Thanks!

When I do it, there are two buttons at the bottom of the AXA pop up. One is red and on the right, that says "please cover me with AXA travel insurance". The other one is bottom left, and is blue it says "No Thanks". You want the blue one ;)
  • apt
    apt Posts: 3,190 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think they've changed it. You have to click on a drop down menu with a list of countries and click the no travel insurance required option which is buried in the middle of the list.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport