Frugal Living 2011 - the preparation stage

Options

Comments

• cake21
    cake21 Posts: 1,039 Forumite
    Options
    l.m.hart wrote: »
    :(Morning and Happy New year to everyone.
    my frugal resolve seems to have gone pear shaped already and im in need of advice.
    I checked my online banking this morning( natwest) and a cheque and a couple of direct debits are listed as coming out on the 4th, these amounts have been taken off my balance already and my account is now showing as overdrawn,a payment (cleared) is due to go into my account as cleared on the 4th which was due to cover the dd. is this normal.
    hope people can understand this and advise as this has started my new year on a downer

I don't bank with Natwest but I have read elsewhere on the forum that if a direct debit or standing order is due out on a non-banking day, e.g. 1 January, then the money will leave your account on the first banking day before then. That seems to tally with what I've seen on my account too so I always try and account for that in my spreadsheet.

On the bright side, when that last happened to me although it showed as overdrawn on my account I didn't get charged interest. Hope you get the same result.
  • Dawning
    Dawning Posts: 498 Forumite
    Options
    I'm working my way back through all the posts I've missed, some great ideas here,thanks to everyone who's contributing on the thread.

One of the ideas that really appeals to me is the one of just not buying things until the current supplies are used up.
    For me this would be toiletries - got enough of most things to last me till 2020! Also, I'm going to go shopping in my own wardrobe - I've got things I don't wear so I'm going to 'style' a few new outfits using only clothes I already have and earrings etc. Having new outfits from things already in my wardrobe will make me feel like i've got new stuff - when I actually havent!

One thing I've noticed this afternoon - a bad habit I have to stop - is - watching QVC !! I've only been watching for about an hour and I've had to stop myself from ordering stuff that I want, but don't need, about three times already. If I'd ordered it all I'd be up to £100 spent just by watching tv. :eek:
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I was the same with their crafting shows (and those on another channel) - would see something on there I quite liked the look of, pop it into my basket, nip onto a crafting forum to see what everyone else thought of said item, and if a couple of others liked it/were ordering then I'd be through to checkout without thinking.

But I stopped watching TV in the first half of the year, and I stopped subscribing the to threads linked to the channels on the forum. I haven't missed having regular deliveries from them, and my bank account/credit card balance definitely felt the benefit ;)

As I no longer have a TV licence and have disconnected my aerial (as of yesterday morning) I think I can honestly say that I've overcome that addiction dance.gif
    Cheryl
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone - I'm lurking again! Feeling quite self righteous at the moment as I've just completed my New Year spreadsheet & according to sums we could save about 5K a year! (where is it going???? need to investigate further!) I have managed to get my house insurance cheaper & with a cashback. I also had a chat with Virgin & managed to upgrade our package for less than we are paying already (how does that work then?) so a good start. I've also got to clear out my wardrobe - does anyone have any tips for selling clothes? I must admit I'm not a fan of ebay but if thats the best way to go. I've some lovely suits and separates that I needed for work and its a shame to leave them in the wardrobe getting dated. I'm also going to start clearing the loft as everything that's 'useful' is stored there so maybe Preloved or Freecycle!
    Thank you all for the encouragement and ideas
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Everyone needs to come over to the 2011 first quarter thread! :D it's now 2011 :j This is the preparation thread :p
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • JoCo_2
    JoCo_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Have been frantically budgeting for a few years now as we were hit with several disasters in a row.

Our position is grim but we remain, most of the time, extremely positive.

Our debt mountain is horrendous but, if the snowballing method works as planned, should be all clear in 7 years (although I am hoping for 4-5!!)

Biggest ongoing problem at the moment is the cost of drugs for poorly animal. Have checked out pet forum and will be investigating online sites for these, although six-weekly vet visits are essential and those costs unavoidable. Insurance was not viable due to condition/age etc., etc..

Proposed budget to follow...

Good Luck everyone

:whistle:
  • cw18
    Options
    2011 thread is now up and running - here

can people please now start posting on there - thanks :)
    Cheryl
  • cw18
    Options
    (and we all want a full report too ;))
    Went really well I think :)

Chatted really easy, and nothing pushy about the day. Took my mutt with me (having warned chap that a short lead and hold back were the order of the day when crossing the path of another dog), and he always held back with me without anything being said.

Walked around the country park for about an hour while chatting very easily, and then sat in the car (eating the picnic I'd taken - which included a salad for the dog, and even that didn't raise much of an eyebrow with him - and chatting some more) for about another 1.5hrs.

And we've been emailing almost constantly since I got home at 3:30 blush.gif

Next stage is for me to drag him kicking and screaming into the world of spreadsheets, and get him up and running with my budget one. If we survive the trials and tribulations of my trying to teach someone how to use spreadsheets (and make a decent cuppa, 'cos he only drinks coffee), then I think it's safe to say we'll be seeing more of each other ;)
    Cheryl
  • NualaBuala
    NualaBuala Posts: 2,507 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds great Cheryl! But cuppa training is indeed a must so he can bring one to you when you need it! Did he and your dog like each other? Have to admit I did raise an eyebrow over the dog eating salad but then I remembered my friend's dog liked curry and onions so I stopped being surprised!
    Trying to spend less time on MSE so I can get more done ... it's not going great so far! :)
    Sorry if I don't reply to posts - I'm having MAJOR trouble keeping up these days!

Frugal Living Challenge 2011

Sealed Pot #671 :A DFW Nerd #1185
  • cw18
    Options
    Dog has allergies and other special dietary requirements, so can't have 'standard' dog treats. Vet gave his blessing to feeding fruit and veg (subject to very minimal citrus fruit and onion, and absolutely no raw potatoes) which is cheaper than the special ones he can have. 4-legs got very cross with me when I was making the sandwiches for the picnic as he didn't get any salad 'trimmings', but they were all going into a tub for him to have later (along with plenty of extra so he had a reasonable amount) ;)

Dog headed straight for fella (as he does with most people who stand still around him), and started with the 'rub my nose into your knees' habit he has. When that wasn't moved away from the nose did it's normal 'move higher' trick, and fella didn't flinch at all - so I reckon the dog accepted him straight away from that alone :rotfl:

After mutt had his salad he knew I still had some carrot chunks (one of his favourites), and 'cried' for them. I hand-fed him a few then fella gave him some (following my lead of holding it between the ends of thumb and a finger while telling the mutt 'nicely' before offering it) - so that will definitely have made him a friend for life :D

Mutt certainly didn't feel a need to stay close to me or keep a watchful eye on fella. Although he was kept on a lead (always is, plus there were signs stating dogs to be kept on them which I would have followed anyway - despite many others having let their dogs loose!), he was happy to take it to full length and sniff around all the bushes and trees and ignore the pair of us :)
    Cheryl
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport