Gift for someone who is dying ?

Options
13»

Comments

• giggles_alot
    Options
    Bella79 wrote: »
    Hi all,

A very close family member (my aunt) has a terminal illness and is on borrowed time, they have said not to buy them for christmas as it would be a waste, but i cant not give them anything, what can i get her ?, shes not very girly so fluffy socks/slippers not really her thing neither are smellys, any ideas would be greatly appriciated

Thankyou x

Sorry to hear about your Aunt. I remember my Mum was in the same situation with her Nan a few years back.
    Mum bought her a nice pot bird seed feeder for the garden so she could sit by the window and watch the birds feeding and flying about. It turned out that her Nan died before it was gifted but my Mum then put in our garden and still uses it today. The time of year her Nan died is when the gift is most of use, we find it a lovely way to remember her Nan. Maybe that could help you too. xxx
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,
    it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • knitwit67
    Options
    Hi, I was wondering, if she is restricted by her body and not mind, what about a guided meditation CD, or hypnosis relaxation CD. My step father is in recovery from cancer. My mum says he uses it in the middle of the night when he can't sleep. It stops him worrying and takes him on a lovely peacefull journey. Then he can enjoy a better sleep which he so needs.

Best wishes to you and your aunt
    Sew it, knit it, glue it, reuse it , don't buy it
  • Danee50
    Options
    Hi
    I am so sorry to hear about your Aunt. When my Mum was in the hospice at Christmas just before she died I bought her tissues in a sparkly box, a lavender pillow and a musical Christmas decoration. I also bought chocolates and biscuits for the visitors and staff. I hope this is helpful.
  • somethingsgottogive
    Options
    What about the journal Jar idea (lots of questions like 'what is your first memory of you mother?' or 'Tell us about your first school..' on scraps of paper in a jar) but with a Dictaphone and plenty of tapes and batteries instead of a journal to write in? She might like to leave some memories behind for you all?
    I hope you manage to have a lovely Christmas with her despite any sadness x
    Paying off CC in 2011 £2100/£1692
    Jan NSD 19/20 Feb NSD11/15March/April ? May 0/15
    Sealed pot 1164 it's a surprise!
  • Cherry24
    Cherry24 Posts: 328 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your aunt. It was my grandad's birthday about a month before he died (terminal cancer). He was given one of those heated feet warmers that you just slip your feet in. He loved it as he was very frail and thin at the time so liked to stay warm.

When my great aunt was very ill, we gave her framed pictures of the family which she loved.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure