Gift for someone who is dying ?

Hi all,

A very close family member (my aunt) has a terminal illness and is on borrowed time, they have said not to buy them for christmas as it would be a waste, but i cant not give them anything, what can i get her ?, shes not very girly so fluffy socks/slippers not really her thing neither are smellys, any ideas would be greatly appriciated

Thankyou x

Comments

• What about some nice flowers that she can appreciate or a visit from a mobile reflexologist, hairdresser for a bit of pampering.
  • Bella79 wrote: »
    Hi all,

A very close family member (my aunt) has a terminal illness and is on borrowed time, they have said not to buy them for christmas as it would be a waste, but i cant not give them anything, what can i get her ?, shes not very girly so fluffy socks/slippers not really her thing neither are smellys, any ideas would be greatly appriciated

Thankyou x

Very sorry to hear this - best wishes to you all.

Perhaps something that will benefit others after she has gone may work? Perhaps you could make a regular donation to a charity close to her heart? Or commit to do some voluntary work for a hospice?
  • Aw, a difficult one x

Is there something you can do personally with her that just involves some of your time or something like a winter flower/berry arrangement that she can enjoy now.

Is she in hospital or at home?
    This time I haven't smoked since 6th Jan 2014 and still going ok.
    Fingers crossed x
  • scattymam1
    scattymam1 Posts: 1,045 Forumite
    I posted something similar a while back and had quite a few replies - wondered if any might help you at all xxx

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=717701&highlight=terminal+cancer+scattymam
  • So sorry to hear that. How about a beautiful blanket? Some nice toiletries? A bed jacket to keep her warm? Anything that will bring her comfort towards the end.

Best wishes xxx
    Gifts of time and love are surely the basic ingredients of a truly merry Christmas."
    ~ Peg Bracken.
  • globalds
    globalds Posts: 9,431 Forumite
    This is just an idea and probably needs padding out a bit ..
    From your post I was thinking she is spending quite a bit of time in hospital.
    so if you talked with the rest of the family and got a digital picture frame . took some time and email everyone to send you some nice family photo's ..Load them all up on the picture frame .
    I recon that would be really nice to have that showing all your loved ones close to you ... something light enough to take to hospital with her.

Maybe photo's of places she can't get to any more could be included ?
  • I am sorry to hear your news. What about a memory book or tape she can listen to. My beautiful daughter made me a book after we lost her sister and its a great comfort to me and her. You are in my prayers x
  • youngie
    youngie Posts: 999
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    if you live close enough a short visit on christmas day would probably be something she would enjoy more than any gift
  • Bella79
    Bella79 Posts: 1,197
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Thankyou all for your replies some good ones there, at the moment she is still as home flowers,blankets jst not her thing, she was always happy doing diy ! i thought about a hamper with some of her fav chocolates in, a handwritten card from me telling her how i love her so much, and then some other stuff but dont know what ??
  • Im so sorry to hear this, I think a hampers a lovely idea. Does she read magazines/books/like films? Maybe include one/all of those? How about a photo album full of photos of your family, maybe write the associated memory underneath the photo? Lots of love to you all. x
    'They only had one cow!'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport