Gift for someone who is dying ?

Options

Comments

• slummymummyof3
    Options
    Is she well enough for you to take her out to lunch? To provide some sort of 'normality'
  • amandada
    amandada Posts: 1,168 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your aunt. My mum died on 17th December last year, and having the knowledge that she was going to go, I spent every second I could with her. It was to her benefit and mine, I'd say, if you can, give her your time, it's likely all she wants x
  • Vaila
    Vaila Posts: 6,301 Forumite
    Options
    i think arranging something like a massage or a manicure that you could either have at home, or at a alon would be nice and relaxing , and it means that you would be sharing time together

maybe even going for afternoon tea, orsimple things like taking a cake/dvd round to watch and eat together?

all the best
    arran x
  • minimoneysaver
    Options
    I love the digital photo frame idea with all family, friends & favourite places on it. Sounds very special and individual and of course portable for hospice, home or hospital.
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was going to suggest a photobook - like this http://www.photobox.co.uk/landing/photo-books-offers/?channel=1280&cid=tasem01&ps=1 - might be easier than a digital photo frame, but the frame can just sit at the side of her bed.
  • scattymam1
    scattymam1 Posts: 1,045 Forumite
    Options
    Before my mam died one of her best friends had made her a lovely patchwork quilt all in lovely bright yellows, it was lovely and bright and she took it with her to st claires hospice. Something so simple brough her a lot of comfort and the colours brightened her mood somewhat as she was wrapped in that and not just the plain blue hospice cover . The digital photo frame is a nice idea too.
    Also have u seen those chocolates that are tool sets - if she liked diy- might be nice to add in - I think I saw some in b and m bargains, and i'm sure I have seen them somewhere else.
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 2,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 December 2010 at 9:04AM
    Options
    Sorry to hear this. what about some room reeds? You can get some lovely ones in m&s and the white company or asda and tesco do less expensive ones. I got my gran these for her home. Its like a room air freshener in a perfume bottle style and wooden reeds in the top to soak up the perfume and make the room smell nice. hope this helps. Maybe along with some luxury chocolates?
  • karren
    karren Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    globalds wrote: »
    This is just an idea and probably needs padding out a bit ..
    From your post I was thinking she is spending quite a bit of time in hospital.
    so if you talked with the rest of the family and got a digital picture frame . took some time and email everyone to send you some nice family photo's ..Load them all up on the picture frame .
    I recon that would be really nice to have that showing all your loved ones close to you ... something light enough to take to hospital with her.

Maybe photo's of places she can't get to any more could be included ?

I work in a hospice and one of my patients had one last year for chrismas and loved it!!! you can scan old and new photos and its a good talking point for the visitors too as often people dont know what to say or do, so yes i think its a fantastic idea and t will revoke happy memories which are everything xx
    :A :j
  • susiecm3
    susiecm3 Posts: 496 Forumite
    Options
    I think the photo frame or book would be lovely, and something everyone could be involved with and passed for the future :-)
    Thrifty Gifty Money Making =£280 Sealed pot challenge 1192 Toluna = 77339 Bingoport = £10 redeemed + 3347
  • Tamster150
    Options
    My Uncle died a few days before Christmas last year he was only 52 (asbestososis) he was able to do very little for himself towards the end other than watch TV. It was his birthday in early December. We bought him some of those silly singing toys you get as he loved Christmas, downloaded some sport interviews, talking books etc as he was a real sports fanatic. He could not eat towards the end otherwise we would of given him a small selection of goodies.

but i think just a visit from my boys (the oldest would of been 2yrs) was the best present he could have (he didn't have children) We tried to go every weekend.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure