Jet2 taxes and charges amount

I was trying to book a bargain flight for £40 all in (no bag!) but needed to go into my Jet2 account with them to amend some incorrect details. When I went back to rebook the flight I had to start again and this time the base flight price had gone up by £10. The airline told me that someone must have booked the last cheap ticket on that exact same flight during those few minutes which is fair enough. What I was shocked to see was that the taxes alone (£43) now amounted to more than the original flight cost inc tax, check-in and card fee? When I spoke to the airline they told me the 'taxes and charges' amount are based as a % of the flight price. Altogether I ended up having to pay an additional ~£25 on top of the original flight I would have booked a few minutes earlier.

I agree it is my fault for not booking it soon enough but I always assumed taxes were a set rate by the airport and therefore were the same price regardless of the flight price? It was the exact same flight at the same time as the cheaper ticket I'd originally found?

Am I the only one who wasn't aware of this?
Won so far in 2017: ipad mini :j

Comments

• Fuel surcharge can vary depending on class booked, its the only thing I can think of that may have increased your price.

The airport charge (UB and not a tax) on different airlines can vary from the same airport and can also change depending on where you fly from and to also the UK tax (GB) dependant on the cabin you travel in and how far you fly, none of these should have affected you as the route was the same.
    I think they were incorrect to say that a tax had been party to the increase.
  • lewroll
    lewroll Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I was not aware of this - is it true?:(
  • Heliflyguy wrote: »
    Fuel surcharge can vary depending on class booked, its the only thing I can think of that may have increased your price.

The airport charge (UB and not a tax) on different airlines can vary from the same airport and can also change depending on where you fly from and to also the UK tax (GB) dependant on the cabin you travel in and how far you fly, none of these should have affected you as the route was the same.
    I think they were incorrect to say that a tax had been party to the increase.

Thanks for that. The only parts of the flight cost breakdown which had increased when I went to book a few months later were the base cost of the flight and the section called 'taxes and charges'. The online check in fee and card processing fee was the same. Maybe the tax remained the same but the word 'charges' in amongst the taxes and charges is the random thing that is calculated as a % of the base flight cost? It would be clearer to me if they quoted the taxes seperately and informed me what these 'charges' were? They weren't for baggage as I selected hand luggage only and didn't reserve my seat or add anything else. Very confusing and must be some kind of VAT maybe as that would be the only kind of charge which would increase if the base flight cost increased?
  • Very confusing and must be some kind of VAT maybe as that would be the only kind of charge which would increase if the base flight cost increased?

VAT is not charged on airline tickets.
    Without a complete breakdown of the taxes fees and charges it would be impossible to see how it adds up I am afraid.
  • Hi,

Yes I can't understand how a 'charge' is based on a percentage of the flight cost. It would be useful if the amount added for 'taxes and charges' was broken down into exactly what you are being charged for. Oh well.
  • HXDave
    HXDave Posts: 951 Forumite
    did you clear your cookies and browser history? Not 100% sure how accurate it is, however someone told me to do this, as it can affect the fair. Basically, when searching for flights, the airline knows your computer has looked at specific dates by means of cookies left. going back in later, the site knows you have already looked at those dates, and re-prices accordingly, possibily giving the opinion that fares are going up, so you book to avoid further rises.

I have tried it once, when i was made aware of it, and it did work, however i cannot say that this is what is happening, as after all it could have been a total fluke!.

The same guy also told me not to put the exact dates of travel into the system, instead use a day either side, as putting exact dates in indicates to the airline that that is the date you want to go, so could artificially load the fare. again, not sure if this is right or not, just what i have been told.

Regards

HXDave
    [FONT=&quot]I used to be a Travel Agent [/FONT]
    Used to be a travel agent for 23 Years, but now out of the industry. However I will help with what i can.
  • Thanks, a friend said the same thing about Jet2 tracking my interest in the flight and I couldn't believe it! I know in the future not to do this as I had been going in and out of that flight price for some time. When I called Jet2 to queery the problem they told me it meant that all the cheap tickets had been sold and to book the flight immediately as the price will only go up.

I am now OUTRAGED as I have just looked at the website and the same flight is now back to the original price of 99p each way plus taxes and charges of £33 with a total cost of £43.97 (no bag, taxes, check-in and payment fee). If I had indeed waited until they had seen I had lost interest or cleared my cookies I would have got this original flight cost instead of paying £61.97 - yes it's not a huge difference but since I'm a student it is to me and that difference could have covered the cost of my airport transfer. I will call Jet2 tomorrow and see what they say but I don't hold much hope.
  • HXDave
    Hi Amanda,

unfortunately, i doubt there is little chance that they will do anything for you. after all, you agreed to the price of the ticket when you purchased it (even though it was higher than previous price quoted, however if you did not want to pay the higher price, you should not have booked it).

look at it this way - if you had booked the ticket and the price went up at a later date, would you be happy with paying the extra amount?

in all fairness, i wouldn't bother calling Jet2.com, as you will end up wasting even more money on phone calls for what i see as being a fruitless excercise.

at least us travel agents have geographical numbers for the trade team at Jet2, even 0800 numbers, and direct contacts too................

HXDave
    Used to be a travel agent for 23 Years, but now out of the industry. However I will help with what i can.
  • Hi Dave,

Thanks for your advice. I haven't contacted Jet2 as I assumed it would not be worthwhile specially as their Ts and Cs say prices are subject to change. I agree I wouldn't have wanted to pay more had the flight gone up but since they told me it would definitely go up in price if I didn't book it and would not go back down to the original price I decided I should bite the bullet and pay or risk not being able to afford to go at all. I guess I just feel a little miffed by this kind of practice. At least I know to be more careful about showing my interest in particular flights in the future and not to rely on any advice given to me by airline staff and it's a lesson learned :-)

Amanda
  • HXDave
    hi amanda

i know what you are saying, but tell me an industry where this doesn't happen. you take the risk, and you take your chance!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure