Somebody Help Vodafone have taken a payment from my debit card twice!

Options
I have been a customer with Vodafone for a few years and in October could not afford to pay my phone bill, I was tehn cut off along with my internet connection. i went online to pay both October and Novembers bills which was over £150.00 only to find they had debited my card twice :mad:
I am desperate for this payment back they have agreed that this is an error they have made however they will need to wait for the additional payment to show on my account before they can do anything (this could be the end of week) I then have to apply for a refund they will process it and then this should be back with me within 10 working days. I have worked all of this out and this should be around Christmas but with the bank holidays this would be delayed even more. I am slighthly paincing because Vodafone issue their bills around the 15th, 16th of the month which means that payment will still be with them and I need that money back in time for Christmas and I will then pay my bill at the end of December when I am paid.

:think: Does anyone know of anyway I can recieve this back quicker?

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Comments

• Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    dairy_milk wrote: »
    I have been a customer with Vodafone for a few years and in October could not afford to pay my phone bill, I was tehn cut off along with my internet connection. i went online to pay both October and Novembers bills which was over £150.00 only to find they had debited my card twice :mad:
    I am desperate for this payment back they have agreed that this is an error they have made however they will need to wait for the additional payment to show on my account before they can do anything (this could be the end of week) I then have to apply for a refund they will process it and then this should be back with me within 10 working days. I have worked all of this out and this should be around Christmas but with the bank holidays this would be delayed even more. I am slighthly paincing because Vodafone issue their bills around the 15th, 16th of the month which means that payment will still be with them and I need that money back in time for Christmas and I will then pay my bill at the end of December when I am paid.

:think: Does anyone know of anyway I can recieve this back quicker?

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Get in touch with your bank. They should be able to get the money back via the Direct Debit Guarantee scheme that Vodafone have signed up to. Do it quick though!!!
  • Tony5101
    Tony5101 Posts: 1,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Will the DD G'tee apply? OP said they paid by card? Bank might still be able to do something though as they will see 2 payments going through on your card for exactly the same amount at a pretty much identical time.
    Either way - as Guys Dad has said, it will be best to contact your bank ASAP.
  • WelshPaul
    Options
    Guys_Dad wrote: »
    Get in touch with your bank. They should be able to get the money back via the Direct Debit Guarantee scheme that Vodafone have signed up to. Do it quick though!!!

Did you not read the op they paid by card online and their card has been debited twice.

Direct Debit guarantee has nothing to do with it sadly.
  • Annie._2
    Annie._2 Posts: 516 Forumite
    Options
    If the OP had gone online to pay the October and November bill just before the direct debit was due to be collected and paid the bill using a card, there would have been insufficient time between the two payments. If the bill is paid by card, it should be paid at least five days before the direct debit is due.

If this is the case, the direct debit guarantee would stand and the OP should be able to get the excess payment refunded by the bank.
  • WelshPaul
    WelshPaul Posts: 535 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 30 November 2010 at 4:57PM
    Options
    Ann_S wrote: »
    If the OP had gone online to pay the October and November bill just before the direct debit was due to be collected and paid the bill using a card, there would have been insufficient time between the two payments. If the bill is paid by card, it should be paid at least five days before the direct debit is due.

If this is the case, the direct debit guarantee would stand and the OP should be able to get the excess payment refunded by the bank.

This is not the case though, the OP states:
    only to find they had debited my card twice

They can either deal with Vodafone direct or contact their debit/credit card company and dispute the charges either way i think the op is in for a wait.
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    WelshPaul wrote: »
    Did you not read the op they paid by card online and their card has been debited twice.

Direct Debit guarantee has nothing to do with it sadly.

Quite right, Paul. My mistake. However, OP might look here for action.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases#debitcard
  • dairy_milk
    Options
    Thanks everyone have spoken to them today I should get it back on the 23rd. Which is slightly annoying!
  • Vodafone
    Vodafone Posts: 4,297 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi dairy milk,

I’m disappointed to see the problems you’ve faced here and can appreciate how frustrating this will be for you with the run up to Christmas.

However, I am pleased to see that this is being processed for you now.

If you have any problems or would like us to assist further, feel free to email us via Web Relations Team we’ll be happy to look into this for you.

(When contacting, please quote the code WRT135 in the subject line. In the main message body, please include a link to this thread and your user name. This will ensure that your message comes directly through to my team).

Best wishes,

Jenny
    Web Relations Team
    Vodafone UK
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure