central heating probs

Options
hello, long time reader first time poster here!

We have just bought our first house which needed a lot a work doing on it before it was habitable. One of the things was heating. We got several quotes ranging from £3000-£6000. A local franchised firm then announced an offer of combi boiler and seven radiators for £2400. We went with them. We left the guys alone to do the work (2 days) and on returning to the house there was a lots of problems. I wont list them all for risk of sounding like serial complainer but to name a few they took a door off and left it off, left all their rubbish (which was 9 boxes plus all materials left over) but the worst one was that in our newly built kitchen they have put a massive boiler with 5 pipes coming from it and running alone the length of a wall with lots of pipes etc underneath the boiler. These pipes cannot even be boxed in due to the location. We called the firm and they sent the outside contractor they used to inspect. Of course he said they were fine. We asked if the owner could come and take a look. He came last night and said 'but the welding is good quality'. he suggested we pay a joiner to box them in and that we got a good price. Surely thats like saying you got what you paid for which is a crap job. It looks a complete mess with my brother saying it resembles a factory or a works kitchen!

Anyway the owner had a proper hissy fit at us shouting and screaming because we asked for a discount (have already paid 40%) or at least to have them professional boxed in somehow. His last words were 'see you in court' before he stormed off. Anyone any ideas of what we can do. Surley if someone does a job for you and you are not satisfied (with good cause) you have some sort of recourse. We don't want to stitch the guy but surely we are not in the wrong. Any advice would be much welcome.

Thanks x

Comments

• Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    It seems to me that you are talking about "finishing", which is to conceal the pipes and possibly the boiler? :confused:

I wouldn't expect this to be covered by the schedule of works, unless it was specifically stated/agreed at the time.

Have all the other problems been resolved e.g. have they re-hung the door? Disposed of the rubbish?
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • virgin_moneysaver
    Options
    did you not realise that the boiler was going in the kitchen?
  • zmm123
    zmm123 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    No they didnt re-hang the door nor take the rubbish. I appreiciate that we would have to do some finishing, we had planned to put a cupboard around the boiler but because of its location and size this is not possible. The pipes look so ugly. If you can imagine an oversized boiler with five pipes coming from it then reaching upto the ceiling then reaching across the whole length of the next wall then up into the ceiling.

Maybe we are just being fussy. Do other people have five pipes coming from their boiler that cannot be boxed in? My sister had central heating installed last year and hers just has one pipe that was easliy disguised. Please tell me if you think I am being unreasonable.
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As Virgin_Moneysaver said. Did you not discus where it was going to be fitted.

Knowing what some people are like if you do not stipulate where and how, they tend to put things where it is easiest for them.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • BobProperty
    BobProperty Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I bet he knew your best price before he quoted. He has done a cheaper job than the others in part by running the pipes on the surface and not boxing them in. If nothing was agreed about what was going to happen then he can argue that what he has done is OK, besides, you said you were putting a cupboard over it.

You normally do have 5 pipes running from a Combi boiler:
    1. Gas in
    2. Cold water feed in
    3. Hot water out
    4. CH out
    5. CH return

Also, why do you consider it "oversized" and "massive"?

Any chance of a picture of it so we can see the situation?
    A house isn't a home without a cat.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
    I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options

You normally do have 5 pipes running from a Combi boiler:
    1. Gas in
    2. Cold water feed in
    3. Hot water out
    4. CH out
    5. CH return

Al

Also a pressure relief pipe and if it is a condensing boiler a pipe to remove the nasties.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • BobProperty
    BobProperty Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ariba10 wrote:
    Also a pressure relief pipe and if it is a condensing boiler a pipe to remove the nasties.
    Ooohhh alright :rotfl: - and if the layout has the filling loop at a distance from the boiler then that might look like another pipe connected to the boiler. :D
    (the OP did mention five pipes )
    A house isn't a home without a cat.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
    I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
  • zmm123
    zmm123 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your help so far. I could do a pic but everything is packed away still. Yes we were going to put it in a cupboard like several family members have done to hide it but because of its size this is not possible. Also because it is so close to the worktop and sink drainer the pipes/wires/knobs and whatnots coming out of it from the bottom cant be boxed in.

I dont know. Am just so disapointed and keep thinking of that saying you get what you pay for. Wish we would have paid bit more and got a quality job. Its our first house (finally!!! been married 10 years) and wanted it to be perfect. I know that the kitchen will drive me mad because it looks awful. Think have to accept it, pay the guy and move on (not literally of course)

Thanks guys xx
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,962 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Even if it very near the drainer, it surely won't be coming forwrad very much. How about a modern looking stainless steel splashback behind the drainer?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    A picture would be a great help ,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts