Forum Home» House Buying, Renting & Selling

House survey, what come back do I have?

New Post Advanced Search

House survey, what come back do I have?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
7 replies 2.3K views
n_griffithsn_griffiths Forumite
16 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
Hi all,

I have recently moved in to a new house (August) and received a full structural survey.

The survey picked up that there was an issue with one of the windows in that it wouldn't close properly causing a draught.

With the colder weather, it has become very obvious that, in fact, all of the windows in the house suffer from this problem and I have been quoted over £300 for repair.

As the survey picked up only one Window, and should have picked up the others, do i have any chance of going back to the surveyor and claiming they should have picked up?

Thanks in advance for any advice.


  • Are you sure there isn't movement in the house? How old is it?
    I would guess that you would need legal advice and probably another survey to see if you had a case.
    11/3/11: Mortgage Started...
    31/12/16 40% Mortgage Paid
    Mortgage Free Date: March 2027 Jan 2024 - now aiming for Jan 2022 :eek:
  • ToasterSchemeToasterScheme Forumite
    115 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    Can't really comment on the original question but here is the story of my windows...

    Moved into an 1880 Victorian terrace with 2001 fitted uPVC double glazing last year and found I had this problem. Basically the windows were all fitted with hinges that were too short (30cm instead of 50cm) and so the hinges had all worn out. This caused them not to "pull in" correctly at the "hinge side" (for us, the top).

    If this is what is happening to you, you may find that the windows will in fact close properly if you push them closed from outside. Short term I know - and probably still involves ladders. And when you open them again you are back where you started...

    You can get the hinges from e.g. Screwfix for £5-6 a pair and change them yourself. But for a whole house using a man with a ladder for £300 doesn't sound far wide of the mark.

    But do not underestimate how heavy these things are - it's a two man job for all but the smallest ones.
  • G_MG_M Forumite
    52K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    If by 'new house' you mean new build, then the builders should come and fix this as part of snagging items.

    If you mean old house, but you've newly moved in, well, moving always entails expenses. £300 is really very little and all houses need maintenance/work.

    The cost of pursuing the surveyor is really not worth it.
  • timmyttimmyt Forumite
    1.6K posts
    you'd pay that speaking to any lawyer to get initial advice and all for £300? <aybe £3000 perhaps.

    How the suirveyor would know all the windows would have this problem I don't know, so not an easy fight.

    Move on.
    My posts are just my opinions and are not offered as legal advice - though I consider them darn fine opinions none the less.:cool2:

    My bad spelling...well I rush type these opinions on my own time, so sorry, but they are free.:o
  • Live with it and accept its part of maintenance. You have very little come back I suspect.
  • fleurhfleurh Forumite
    17 posts
    When we moved into our house in Feb 2010, we became LPG users for the first time. In all innocence I signed up to the 2-year contract Calor offered. 2 years and a new, £6,000 central heating system later, we are mercifully out of contract. I have been shocked by how expensive LPG is, and particularly how Calor seem to have carte blanche to raise fuel prices, while contractually tying you into onerous penalty fees that make it financially non-viable to break your contract early. At one point I contacted Countrywide following a visit to this forum, and was told that yes, they could offer a price about 15p cheaper than Calor, but I would have to wait until I was out of contract.

    When that day came (Feb 2012), I contacted Countrywide to complete the switch. However, we now received more bad news - apparently our tanks contravene buildings regs [Approved Document J [5:13]], and so no other supplier will take us on until the issues with the tanks are rectified. When I contacted Calor, they offered to sort out the tanks for £100, but I would have to sign up to a further 2 year contract. This is exactly what I was trying to avoid.

    Does anyone have any advice on what to do next? I've written to Calor pointing out that the tank maintenance was their responsibility, and that therefore I should not be required to sign a new contract or pay anything to get the maintenance done - but so far have had no reply. I also took it up with the surveyor (we got a full building survey - no mention made of tanks contravening building regs) - so far they are giving me the brush-off, but I will keep pushing here also. I am continuing to pursue Calor for a response, but it feels like I need an Ombudsman or other regulatory body behind me before they will take any notice. Can I sue them for non-maintenance of the tanks??

    Any and all help much appreciated.

    - Fleur _pale_
  • pinkteapotpinkteapot Forumite
    7.5K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    fleurh - you need to create a new thread with a new title. You've replied to an old thread which is on a different subject. You'll get more replies if you re-post this as a new thread with the title you've used...
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support