🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Just wanted to say a Big Thank you

Options
Hi Everyone

Just wanted you all to know how your advice on this board has helped both myself and my husband (AND I BET ALOT OF OTHER NON POSTERS) all though we have never posted a great deal on debt free we both read most of the posts which in turn has helped us get our debts into order AND MAKE US MUCH HAPPIER.:D

I was just wondering how many other people have also sorted their debts out by being silent debt free wannabes or lurking ?
Official DFW NERD 189

I may be a woman but dont hold it against me:D

Officially declared Br 6/11/06

Discharged Br 4/5/07 (6 months to the day)

BCSC MEMBER 21

Comments

• Annie_Fanny
    Annie_Fanny Posts: 1,167 Forumite
    Options
    This forum is fantastic. It helps you see situations a different light.

Good luck to everyone whether they are just starting out on their debt free journey or are well and truly on their way!
    "Debt makes plans for you" - A quote from my friend Catherine. How true!
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    and to all those lurkers out there :) COME ON!! Join in!! You must have loads of tips & knowledge to share with the rest of us :T

So pipe up!! :T
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • gettingitsorted
    Options
    For the first time ever this year i have done my christmas shopping the MSE way,using the grabbit while you can forum i have saved a fortune and not gone over the top either (have 4 kids to buy for) and the bonus aswell is i dont haft to fight the pre christmas mad rush in the shops :j
    Official DFW NERD 189

I may be a woman but dont hold it against me:D

Officially declared Br 6/11/06

Discharged Br 4/5/07 (6 months to the day)

BCSC MEMBER 21
  • Paige
    Paige Posts: 266 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am a secret lurker. I have been reading for about 3 months now and have been greatly inspired by the help and advice I have read. I feel I am now beginning to sort out my finanaces. I have felt unable to post as my OH and my incomes are more than £4500 pm and we have got about £14 k on credit cards which is not much compared to some and has happened because we have been foolish with money. We have now relooked at our finances with the help of everyone here. THANKS
  • itsarichmansworld
    Options
    I love mse I think its the most useful thing on the web hence why I spend all day on here on my days off....

wait a minute does that mean I dont have a life???? Least I'm not spending money lol !
    Isn't the knowledge that comes from experience more valuable than the knowledge that doesn't?
  • Money~Bunny_3
    Options
    I think this is a very non-judgemental place & whether you earn £6000 pm or £600, anyone can get into debt. I have benefited from the forums hugely - I had just started my first job and although my salary is tiny I wanted to make up for all those years eking out my student loan! New clothes new MP3 player new boots furnishings posh takeaways and !expensive! new bike, but I found this place before I got into a real muddle and bad debt! I have made a big effort to change my vague ways with money and paid off most of my debts except my SL since coming here. Hopefully I can carry on using these forums and (good luck willing) not ever get so close to the edge again! :D

I've even started saving again - budgeting means I can put money where I really want it. I even look forward to filling in my money spreadsheet :rotfl:
    Old-styler, crafter and freebie junkie!
    Frogga's Amazing Weight Loss Campaign: Member no.20 since 2/9/07 -- lost 10lb
    :love:Wedding bells 04/10/08 :love:
  • richardvc
    richardvc Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Lurked for a long time and then registered.

Debt was eating me inside - I always felt ashamed, embarrassed and on my own - yet reading the great threads on MSE I found that I wasn't alone.

I have come to realise that the vast majority of Britain are most probably in debt BUT we as a minority are dealing with ours !!

I am so grateful to this site because I am now saving money on - Gas & electricity, telephones, AOL, SKY, breakdown insurance, shopping, pet insurance amongst many other things and have just started the process for reclaiming my bank charges.

A big thank you must go out to all the 'posters' who give excellent and non-judgemental advice and who as a community really do care about one another's welfare.
    Thanks to MSE I cleared £37k of debt in five years and I was lucky enough to meet Martin to thank him personally.
  • Mrs_Sparkle
    Mrs_Sparkle Posts: 1,805 Forumite
    Options
    Paige wrote:
    I am a secret lurker. I have been reading for about 3 months now and have been greatly inspired by the help and advice I have read. I feel I am now beginning to sort out my finanaces. I have felt unable to post as my OH and my incomes are more than £4500 pm and we have got about £14 k on credit cards which is not much compared to some and has happened because we have been foolish with money. We have now relooked at our finances with the help of everyone here. THANKS

Don't feel bad about that- we all have our own set of circumstances and I doubt if anyone would judge you for yours.

I'm too gobby to lurk and it's been great fun talking to everyone on here.
    Debt at highest May 2006: £27,472.24
    currently: £13,353.25
    DFW Nerd 178
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • welshkitty_2
    Options
    I check the website daily, and to see other peoples stories makes me feel that I'm not alone.

Have picked up some great ideas, recipes and money saving tips.

My life style has completely changed and hopefully for the better.
    TOTAL DEBT £22962.67!!!!!!!!

SOLD MY CAR!!!!!!!!

TOTAL DEBT NOW £15900.00 !!!!!!!!

:T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T
  • moozie_2
    moozie_2 Posts: 3,063 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have not been a silent lurker but I am grateful all the same! Without this forum my life would have been very different to what it is now and I quite like how it is now :p

Mrs sparkle....gobby??? Never! :D
    Leason learnt :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills