isa close versus transfer

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
3 replies 1K views
davidcampbelldavidcampbell Forumite
430 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
i recently closed down my isa account. made the mistake of closing it rather than transferring without realising the hassle it would cause me (wont make that mistake again now i have discovered the delight that is MSE ;) ).

anyway, i have heard a whisper that my isa provider is obliged to tell me before i do so, that if i close rather than transfer im not eligible to open another isa until next april.

admittedly it was a mistake on my part and i should have read my t and cs more carefully but is this true? do they have such an obligation?

thanks

DC

Replies

• Dont you work in a bank, dude? I thought I heard you were a customer services advisor?
  • i recently closed down my isa account. made the mistake of closing it rather than transferring without realising the hassle it would cause me (wont make that mistake again now i have discovered the delight that is MSE ;) ).

anyway, i have heard a whisper that my isa provider is obliged to tell me before i do so, that if i close rather than transfer im not eligible to open another isa until next april.

admittedly it was a mistake on my part and i should have read my t and cs more carefully but is this true? do they have such an obligation?

thanks

DC

No you can't blame the bank for you closing the account. They arn't under legal obligation, maybe they would advise you its not a good idea.... but nothign that they can be held accountable against
  • fair dos, just thought id check.

yeah i do work in a bank, but not with isas

thanks for the help

DC
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals