PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quick Questions on Jam and marmalade making and Preserving

Options

Comments

• auntyn
    auntyn Posts: 101 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks emiff6 for great link - sets my mind at rest. Will make marmalade tomorrow. Thanks for all replies.
  • zarazara
    zarazara Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    Options
    blondy24 wrote: »
    Yes Lucy I would be interested in knowing the answer to this too....

I use this for making marmalade. veery easy and we like it:j
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness" :j
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,265 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I was thinking later after posting, are you sure it is brass & not copper?

Brass was not normally used for cooking, except maybe toasting forks and the like. More decorative and functional like cogs, door handles, trumpets etc

If it is brass then it would be worth a few bob in metal alone

But depending on it's heritage maybe just keep as family heirloom?
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If it's real brass it's more likely to be decorative. If it's copper you shouldn't make chutney or acidic preserves like marmalade in it.
    Val.
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We had a brass preserving pan. It was brilliant for jam making because the heat distribution was so even. (We had some antique copper pans but we didn't use them as they had to be tin lined or continuously cleaned because the metal did react with the contents.) The brass never did react, although I probably wouldn't use it for chutney or pickles just in case. As I say, we knew it as a jam pan rather than a preserving pan, and it was very useful becaue it was slightly smaller thatn the preserving pan and so could be used for small amounts.
    I made my first attempt at jam in it (greengage for my Girl Guide homemaker badge)
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ive merged this with jam making quick questions
    Zip :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• billieboy_2
    billieboy_2 Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I made this marmalade last night. I doubled the quantities of oranges, water, sugar but it wouldn't set (I did the saucer test and it seemed okay). Poured it all back in the pan boiled again, same sancer test, still didn't set overnight:mad:. I was beginning to think I'd have to chuck the lot away. Looked on t'internet this morning and someone on a forum suggested adding lemon juice and boiling really hard for 15 minutes. Well I added the juice of three lemons and after about 25 minutes really hard boiling it finally set:j. It's gone a dark colour as well and with the addition of the lemon juice is nice and tangy.

I also made some jars with a tin of mamade earlier in the week (before I'd seen any sevilles) and this is great for a quick recipe. I've been making it for years. The only thing with making your own is you can cut the peel as thin or thick as you like.
  • LucyLocket
    Options
    zarazara wrote: »
    I use this for making marmalade. veery easy and we like it:j
    Well, based on all the helpful advice on here, I made my first marmalade ever today with a can of mamade and it's great, I feel very grown up :-)
    Nothing in it, nothing in it but a ribbon round it .....
  • icecreamdogpark
    Options
    Made some yummy marmalade have stored it in the fridge but it going a marbled effect? have no idea why or what to do with it? i`m guessing it`s the sugar in it ? Thanks for reading
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    possibly the sugar crystallising - the same thing can happen to honey.

Marmalade shouldn't really need to be in the fridge though?
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure