Left tap running overnight

confused_soul
confused_soul Posts: 23 Forumite
edited 25 November 2010 at 11:06AM in Water bills
I've been very silly and accidentally left my bath hot tap over night. I was going to have a bath but had a headache and went for a quick lie down. That was about 8.30 last night and I noticed that it was still running at 9am this morning. The water was also hot so the boiler must have been working flat out.

Can any one help my figure out how much it probably cost? As the metre was only read a couple of weeks ago I don't expect to be hit by this for another fer months. I would really like to get a ball park figure so I can budget for it and save else where.

Comments

• My bath looks like this one (sorry, I can't post the link properly)

http:// www. bathstore.com/files/KERRIDGE/60004000030/TECH.pdf
  • take a meter reading and compare the difference!
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    You probably need to check the gas and the water meter to estimate the total.
  • If you know the meter reading from a few weeks ago, take one now and then work out the difference and that will give you the amount used to date which will of course include the water used through leaving the tap running.
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
  • I would love to but I'm in a rented flat and I don't have physical access to the meter.
  • I can bore you with the calculations if you wish, but if you use gas and have metered water then the gas cost c£23 and the water c£33.

Some big assumptions there, but that should be worst case.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Bloomin good job you hadn't put the plug in.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • bobmedley wrote: »
    I can bore you with the calculations if you wish, but if you use gas and have metered water then the gas cost c£23 and the water c£33.

Some big assumptions there, but that should be worst case.

Oh please bore me. I love things like this.

Robert Service
  • I would love to but I'm in a rented flat and I don't have physical access to the meter.

Ask for a meter reading then from your water company and explain why, they should be able to read your meter within 5 working days unless access is also a problem for them and if that is the case there must be someone who can get to the meter.

Robert Service
  • I've been very silly and accidentally left my bath hot tap over night. I was going to have a bath but had a headache and went for a quick lie down. That was about 8.30 last night and I noticed that it was still running at 9am this morning. The water was also hot so the boiler must have been working flat out.

Can any one help my figure out how much it probably cost? As the metre was only read a couple of weeks ago I don't expect to be hit by this for another fer months. I would really like to get a ball park figure so I can budget for it and save else where.

Sorry....

You started to run a bath and just walked away with it running with no plug in?
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure