Just checked my credit report - UK Search Limited?

Options
Hiya,

So I'm slowly getting my debts in order when whack, smack, bang I get a letter from my old local council in London about an outstanding council tax debt I thought was sorted.

Long story short. I was a student ie. tax exempt. Lived with various people who never bothered to register themselves at the address :mad:, graduated and tried to apply for benefits, dodgy landlord, no details for him and no up to date tenancy agreement, claim refused, landlord said it was included in my rent, cue threatening letters from local council, spoke to council explained situation they said it was "OK", let them know I moved...2 years later BANG. Bill for £535 and threats of baliffs.

Contacted local council (not sure if there has been a crossover with baliffs letter and contact... received a letter dated almost 2 weeks beforehand demanding information within 2 weeks:mad:. Called council who said it was "Fine" again....

Now I've just checked my credit report which was starting to pick up again and now it's just red, red, red, red

and it says this:
UK SEARCH LIMITED , a Debt Collector company, has made an inquiry against your credit report on 01/11/2010 . If you were not aware of or did not consent to this search, contact UK SEARCH LIMITED or Equifax for clarification.
UK SEARCH , a Debt Collector company, has made an inquiry against your credit report on 28/10/2010 . If you were not aware of or did not consent to this search, contact UK SEARCH or Equifax for clarification.
UK SEARCH LIMITED , a Debt Collector company, has made an inquiry against your credit report on 01/11/2010 . If you were not aware of or did not consent to this search, contact UK SEARCH LIMITED or Equifax for clarification.

Anybody heard of these guys? Kind of scared now. :(

I've managed to half my debt to just over £4k recently and I'm working really hard on it so this is a total spanner in the works. Particularly as its something I was assured was sorted. I've also been a terrible person and told them who used to live there....
Credit Card Debt : £1910 [STRIKE]£5,000[/STRIKE]
Overdraft: £1500 [STRIKE]£2800[/STRIKE]
DFD: October 2011

Comments

• suburbanwifey
    Options
    UK Search Ltd. are a company that are employed to trace debtors. This company will have been employed to search and locate you.

Yes, kinda scary as it appears they have found you.
  • suburbanwifey
    Options
    You can contact them directly here:

UK Search Limited
    3 Napier Court
    Barlborough Links
    Chesterfield
    S43 4PZ

Telephone: 01246 573510

I would give them a call and find out who they have been employed by and why. That will be the only way to find out. It may be nothing at all to do with the Council Tax from the previous property.

Good Luck!
  • DanielleR
    Options
    Well, I've also just discovered a default (brilliant... :() from Virgin Media for £62.90 back in February 2009. This has really annoyed me now as I cancelled with them on the phone AND in writing in November 2008.

Just called my old flatmate and he said that they continued to use the Internet for about 4 months after I had left.... I have a sneaky feeling that a flatmate pretended to be me and obviously (as I had cancelled the DD) they've racked me up with this debt.

They said it's been passed to BPO debt collectors and to call them. I've said to the guy at Virgin Media... this isn't my debt and he said now everything has to go through them...

Any idea what I can do about this?
  • DanielleR
    DanielleR Posts: 117 Forumite
    edited 24 November 2010 at 1:01PM
    Options
    Ok. So just called UK Search Ltd (from my mobile. Number blocked).

They said that they couldn't provide any details over the phone and I have to email them with my name, the addresses that the searches occured on and the dates of the searches....

and then they would be able to tell me who they were working on behalf of...

fishy or not fishy?

EDIT: Thing is they've obviously got my current address now anyway...?
  • suburbanwifey
    Options
    DanielleR wrote: »
    Ok. So just called UK Search Ltd (from my mobile. Number blocked).

They said that they couldn't provide any details over the phone and I have to email them with my name, the addresses that the searches occured on and the dates of the searches....

and then they would be able to tell me who they were working on behalf of...

fishy or not fishy?

EDIT: Thing is they've obviously got my current address now anyway...?

Okay, two things (I used to work in the credit industry so hope I can help you with good advice :D)

They HAVE located you through the credit reference agencies, so you know that now. The reason they had to search you is that they previously didn't know your current address or contact details..

They tell you they cannot supply details over the phone without you identifying yourself because they are actually covered by data protection regulations but also because that way they can get you to incriminate yourself by confirming what they already know about you ie: full name, address, email address and phone number.

They already know this info but they want you to confirm it before they can tell you who they were employed by to trace you.

If I was you, I would actually provide this information to them as you will not be able to trace yourself who they were employed by without them telling you. I would work on the principle they already know where I live, so I would not be telling them something they already do not know.

Unless you move and do not register for council tax (or voting by the electoral register) its actually very difficult to hide from these people. Best to get in touch with them, find out who hired them and then approach the company who did to arrange a payment plan.

Regards to your friend who quite possibly used your account after you had left, do you have proof of the date you left that property? it will be a time consuming exercise but worth it to remove a debt you do not owe, I would take that time and trouble to clear my name and the debt if its not yours.

Your friend is a bit of a **** :eek:
  • suburbanwifey
    Options
    Well, I've also just discovered a default (brilliant... :() from Virgin Media for £62.90 back in February 2009. This has really annoyed me now as I cancelled with them on the phone AND in writing in November 2008

You've got proof if you called them (calls are recorded, get them to lift this call and listen to it) and if you wrote, did you send it 'Recorded Delivery' and have the proof still? or a copy of the letter you sent them?
  • DanielleR
    DanielleR Posts: 117 Forumite
    edited 24 November 2010 at 1:44PM
    Options
    Thanks ever so much SW.

Yes, I have my suspicions of who did it... but I've already got my own back by giving the council tax people their full name, date of birth and time at address re: the council tax.

It's not a massive amount £62.90... but it's the principle of things... as for recorded delivery. I did send it recorded delivery but having moved twice since then (two years!) I very much doubt I still have the chit. I think what they probably did was got a confirmation letter with all my blinking details on through the post and rang them up. Being flatmates obviously they probably knew a lot about me anyway (so things like memorable places etc would be rather easy for them I'd assume)

Thing is now that this UK Search thing has come up and they appear to have "tracked me down" so to speak. It makes me wonder if anything else is going to come out of the woodwork. What happens if bailiffs turn up at my current address? It's not my home (it's my fiance's dad's...) and I have nothing of any value... bar possibly my laptop. And even then my dad bought it for me ages ago so they couldn't prove that it was mine so to speak. Errrgh.

I was starting to get myself sorted really well and now this has happened. It's like smacking my blinking head against a wall!

EDIT: And also, in regards to the debt collection guys, I would be utterly mortified if they turned up here. My fiance (luckily he knows the full extent of it!) is stupidly savvy with his money as is his dad. His dad owns his house outright and only gets credit to bridge a gap if he buys a new motorbike and then pays it off, in full straight away. My OH only just got a credit card to help with his mortgage prospects.... really, honest hardworking guys that think I'm a bit posh and I'm the one who can handle money/bill etc DOH... :(
  • suburbanwifey
    suburbanwifey Posts: 1,642 Forumite
    edited 24 November 2010 at 1:49PM
    Options
    My heart goes out to you, nothing worse than getting yourself together and then something smacking you in the face like that, but almost all of this situation, you can do something about. Taking control back and sorting through it all methodically will ease the stress as you are dealing with it, rather than letting it deal with you, if you see what I mean.

Revenge is always a dish best eaten cold and I think you have done the right thing by pointing the council tax people in the direction of your 'friend' :D I would do exactly the same! so that's that one taken care of...:p

Yes, moving house does cause a loss of important data that you don't think you will ever need again. The thing is, if you cannot prove what you say, you are stuffed and will have to pay that bill *sorry* bad news I know, but if you had kept a copy of that letter or proof of delivery, you could have sorted that one. What about Virgin who record all calls? have you asked them to check calls on your account to listen to the one where you cancelled?

Bailiff's cannot and won't turn up at your current address unless you have been issued with a CCJ - are there any CCJ's on your credit reference files? if not, don't worry, its not gonna happen. But, for your own peace of mind, you have NO LEGAL obligation (unless its Police for arrest purposes) to open your door to anyone. If a suspicious looking character is banging or ringing on your door, do not open it. Bailiff's need access to be granted before they can levy for goods, they are not allowed to break in, only make peaceful entry through a door that you open, or leave open or an open window (they area allowed to climb in!) so don't open your door if at all worried.

Deal with all these issues by paper or email which is traceable and recorded as proof of anything you or they have said.

From what you have told me, forget Bailiff's, they aren't going to come.

I would give the debt tracers your details, find out who that debt is with and then you can work out what you are going to do about it. You need facts before a solution can be sought.

Try not to worry! minor problems that can be dealt with, they really can.
  • suburbanwifey
    Options
    EDIT: And also, in regards to the debt collection guys, I would be utterly mortified if they turned up here. My fiance (luckily he knows the full extent of it!) is stupidly savvy with his money as is his dad. His dad owns his house outright and only gets credit to bridge a gap if he buys a new motorbike and then pays it off, in full straight away. My OH only just got a credit card to help with his mortgage prospects.... really, honest hardworking guys that think I'm a bit posh and I'm the one who can handle money/bill etc DOH... :(

It is for this reason that you need to deal with it. If you deal with it and be proactive, they never need find out. Contact the tracing company with the details they already have on you, confirming them and find out who employed them, then contact them directly by phone, email or letter and they then have a point of contact. They will only threaten to turn up at your door if you ignore it. Ignoring a problem doesn't make it go away, dealing with it makes it go away. If you end up having to pay this small bill, you can arrange a payment plan which will keep them off your back and no one need find out. That is what I would do. Find out who that company are working for! I would want that info so I could take control back from them so I could deal with it. Find out what you are dealing with and then a solution can be found. :D I'll help all I can.
  • DanielleR
    Options
    Thank you so much. I've emailed them back.

I've taken a look at my credit file and I see no CCJs. The stuff from the council states that there was a court summons which took place in my absence back in Dec 2008 but my details, my linked addresses and everything have no record of any court things at all.

I guess now I've done as much as I can and I'll just have to see what responses I get.

Really appreciate all your advice :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business