Urgent news on IPA's - Changes for BRs after 01/12/2010

Options

Comments

• minicooper1961
    Options
    skylight wrote: »
    When is your discharge date?? Is he going to pay via the CSA - is he actually going to pay?? (As in is this an attachment of earnings or is he going to ignore the assessment?) You can also increase your child expenses in your SOA when the time comes.

And as previously mentioned, you can always refuse the IPA based on maintenance. I dont think the ORs will want a court case based on those facts as I dont think they will win. Maintenance doesn't have an impact anymore on means tested benefits and that is a damn good precedence!

Debt Doctor:
    DLA cannot be counted as income in an IPA; I assume that still stands? Is there any chance you can find out about maintenance reciepts. If they are an allowable expense in BR then surely they should be an allowable and exempt receipt too?!

I wasn't happy when they started to include child benefit in IPA calculations a short while ago.

Skylight, many thanks, my ad is due on 22nd July 2011 - I went BR on the back of his {long story debt} He had ad in August 2010 - {with no IPA as far as I am aware} CSA have only just assessed him and they have apparently sorted out a voluntary deduction of earnings with him. No monies have been received as yet - ? who knows he may just come off the books I wouldn't put it past him - as he is already renting out the old family home, paying the mortgage with the rent monies and pocketing the rest ?????

oh heck school run.....gotta go..............:) thanks for the help
    Deep doubts, deep wisdom, small doubts, little wisdom..............
  • WLITC
    WLITC Posts: 1,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OMG! I can't believe they've done this. Speaking selfishly, I just hope they don't re-assess bankruptcy orders processed months ago. I had mine back in the Spring and I didn't get a IPA. My stomach is churning reading this. Was so looking forward to moving on from all this and now I now I'm going to be worrying for the next few months wondering if I'm going to get an IPA and essentially have to live on a very tight budget (based on them taking all surplus) for the next 3 years. :cry:

Debt Doctor, I'm sure anyone who has gone BR in the past several months and didn't get an IPA (because their suplus was under £99) will now be worrying and very eager to find out if this is going to be applied to BR's already processed, but not discharged. If you could get some clarification on this I'm sure it would be most appreciated.
  • elliesmemory1
    Options
    Yes, it should only affect those actually going BR after DEC 1st.

DD

I asked ths yesterday and this is the reply from debt doctor. I dont know if thats offical or not. I would also like to know if your income goes up slightly and if they have to reasses you will they use the new rule.
    I really think it is unfair if they do as I went br on advice of cccs who told me I could keep surplus if under £99.
    They appear to have moved the goal posts.
  • now
    now Posts: 851 Forumite
    Options
    OMG! I can't believe they've done this. Speaking selfishly, I just hope they don't re-assess bankruptcy orders processed months ago. I had mine back in the Spring and I didn't get a IPA. My stomach is churning reading this. Was so looking forward to moving on from all this and now I now I'm going to be worrying for the next few months wondering if I'm going to get an IPA and essentially have to live on a very tight budget (based on them taking all surplus) for the next 3 years. :cry:

Debt Doctor, I'm sure anyone who has gone BR in the past several months and didn't get an IPA (because their suplus was under £99) will now be worrying and very eager to find out if this is going to be applied to BR's already processed, but not discharged. If you could get some clarification on this I'm sure it would be most appreciated.

I am sure you will be fine as they are saying it is only going to effect people who are going BR after 1st December.
    If you woke up this morning congratulations, you have another chance :j
  • nilpennies
    Options
    Hi All, I've just registered onto this forum, it makes very interesting reading. Myself and my wife went BR in Dec last year. I was contracting as a telecoms engineer and lots of work was cancelled or was delayed indefinately. As a result we got heavily into debt trying to pay household bills and mortgage etc whilst waiting for the work to pick up, it didn't.
    Since then I have been working for an agency driving HGV's and the work is steadily being reduced, in the summer I was working 4 or 5 nights a week, the last month or so it has been 1 or 2 nights, the agency says this is because companies are trying to reduce their relliance on agency staff to reduce costs. My wife also does agency work and this is also hit and miss, work 1 week and nothing for the next 2. On top of this my security clearance has run out (important for the work I did) because I haven't been able to use it and I no longer have a car that can do the milage involved so it looks like I'm never going to be able to get back into my trade again.
    We are still waiting for an IPA to be given to us and this latest news is scarey reading, how does the OR work out our monthly income when we don't know what work will be available?
    My sons DLA is also included in our household income, is this normal?
  • Queen
    Queen Posts: 788 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, just read the changes me and hubby are into our 2nd yr of IPA, does this mean we will not be effected by the new changes, if we are does this mean they will re-look at amounts they will allow for instant gas and electric they would only allow £120 for both but we pay £106 for gas and £72 for electric we hardly have the heating on its an old property will they allow the full amount as we pay the difference out of the surplus, plus things like emergency fund in case anything goes wrong with the property or car we would never be able to sort these if we had not surplus at the moment we have £120 surplus after we pay IPA of £120 per month, this worries me that we are need to advise when our mortgage payment goes up they will apply the new changes :mad:.

Also my hubby as a long term illness under control until they have changed medication had time of sick asked OR to reduce IPA for that month loss of income £120 but only reduced IPA by £20 instead of the full amount.
  • elliesmemory1
    Options
    If we had some official guide lines as to what is going to happen it would help put peoples minds at rest.
    This is going to worry a lot of people.
    It would be good to have some more info about it all.
  • now
    now Posts: 851 Forumite
    Options
    nilpennies wrote: »
    Hi All, I've just registered onto this forum, it makes very interesting reading. Myself and my wife went BR in Dec last year. I was contracting as a telecoms engineer and lots of work was cancelled or was delayed indefinately. As a result we got heavily into debt trying to pay household bills and mortgage etc whilst waiting for the work to pick up, it didn't.
    Since then I have been working for an agency driving HGV's and the work is steadily being reduced, in the summer I was working 4 or 5 nights a week, the last month or so it has been 1 or 2 nights, the agency says this is because companies are trying to reduce their relliance on agency staff to reduce costs. My wife also does agency work and this is also hit and miss, work 1 week and nothing for the next 2. On top of this my security clearance has run out (important for the work I did) because I haven't been able to use it and I no longer have a car that can do the milage involved so it looks like I'm never going to be able to get back into my trade again.
    We are still waiting for an IPA to be given to us and this latest news is scarey reading, how does the OR work out our monthly income when we don't know what work will be available?
    My sons DLA is also included in our household income, is this normal?

I would have thought that you would have heard something by now as you must only have a few weeks to go, have you been contacted at all through the year re filling in thr paperwork for an IPA? when are you discharged?
    If you woke up this morning congratulations, you have another chance :j
  • WLITC
    WLITC Posts: 1,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I asked ths yesterday and this is the reply from debt doctor. I dont know if thats offical or not. I would also like to know if your income goes up slightly and if they have to reasses you will they use the new rule.
    I really think it is unfair if they do as I went br on advice of cccs who told me I could keep surplus if under £99.
    They appear to have moved the goal posts.
    now wrote: »
    I am sure you will be fine as they are saying it is only going to effect people who are going BR after 1st December.
    I really hope this is the case. As hardupandfedup and others have pointed out, a lot of people took at advice (and were informed of the £99 surplus/IPA guidelines) and went BR on this basis. I know it certainly factored into my decision. It would seem open to challenge to apply this to cases already assessed but not dischared, but given how this government is cutting costs and trying to raise revenue, it wouldn't surprise me if they didnt try it on.

I feel truly sorry for anyone just about to go BR as these new rules are going to make it very tough for a lot of people and I wouldn't be surprised if many of these will quickly start to struggle as a result. With essentially only £10 a month for emergencies, its a recipe for people building up new debt by borrowing off friends and relatives just to cope with an unexpected bill (cooker/washer breaking) or a kids birthday/christmas .. and of course, withl essentially no surplus, they'll have little or no money to pay this back. It really is a recipe for disaster IMHO.
  • Falze
    Falze Posts: 872 Forumite
    Options
    If no one has any information, none can be provided. Everything that is known is here Fred :)
    I'm no expert, but i'll give you my opinion, my support and my experience. Its all i have.

Delcared BR 28th May'10 - Married 30th April'11 - Auto Discharged 28th May'11 - Life Changing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport