Urgent news on IPA's - Changes for BRs after 01/12/2010

Options

Comments

• sealsandsqueals
    Options
    Hi Pauleen,

I'm in the same situation as you - I went BR in August and still haven't heard from Moonbeaver - will def get an IPA as my outgoings are actually quite low as I'm living with my parents.

This does worry me as if they turn my IPA into taking all my surplus, I'll probably pay £600 a month and with the money they make on my house, they'll be not be far off the full amount of my BR......would seem for me, I may have been better off not going BR although was advised otherwise in order for a fresh start and the hope of moving out of my parent's one day in the near future (I'm 31).

I don't want to moan and fully appreciate I'm in a better situation than most as have a roof over my head at my parents.

But does a seem to throw a completely new light on whether I should have gone BR in the first place - despite been trapped in debt since I was made redundant from a job paying three times as much as I've managed to get since.

But I'm still thankful for everything that happened and how I've felt (most of the time) for the last three months has been better than how I've felt for the last five years - if I have to pay a lot more than I bargained for, then so be it.
  • minicooper1961
    Options
    Hi I am in a very similar situation although I don't have a new job I am awaiting child support payments to come through, my ex OH has been assessed {but I have yet to receive any monies, 2 years and still counting:(} I am taking it the same way as you that I don't have an IPA yet but will get one when his monies find their way to me. My original soa showed a 10.00 surplus {however this was NEVER surplus in reality}

I wonder what the point of chasing him was:mad: I now have a mutiny on my hands with my nearly sixteen year old..........:eek:
    Deep doubts, deep wisdom, small doubts, little wisdom..............
  • hisandhers1978
    Options
    Hi, we are looking also at a £5-600 surplus and with a hearing date set for 10th December, we are now probably having to make the decision to back track and go back into our debt management plan and plod on for 16 years till everything is cleared. The 30% we would have had left over from the surplus, made life just about livable and BR almost bearable (we all know the budgets are unrealistic in todays climate anyway).

This is going to affect a lot of people.

I am sure the tories are responsible for this along with all of the other decisions they are making to break the people of this country.
  • MichMoor
    Options
    I have just been to the CCCS and they have recommended bankruptcy, which was in itself frightening although expected.

Need to consider whether it is still worthwhile in light of these proposed changes.

Like His and Hers I would suspect there is political involvement in this in addition as seeing it as a way of raising more revenue. This governmant is far less sympathetic to the vulnerable.
  • elliesmemory1
    Options
    I went br early Aug. Dont have a ipa as was well under the £99. Im waiting fo a nil tax code to start.
    I dont know if this will effect me or not as depends on if they are going to reasses everyone or if its just anyone whos br after 1st Dec.
    I do think its unfair if they back date it as people who went br made the choice on advice given to them before when you were allowed £99 surplus.
    A lot of people may have struggled on a dmp or something if this was the rule then.
    I dont think they should have done this with out warning.
  • Daisy4567
    Options
    Oh hec!!

Well, we were entering into an IVA but my hubby's wages seem like they will be dropping by £250.00 in Jan - so were thinking of BR seriously.

However this scares the living daylights out of me and seems that by going BR we will achieve nothing - I think our surplus is currently £222.00 which was going to be the IVA payment.

So basically they would take ALL of this? In IVA they only take 50%

So, let me get this clear in my head please -

Basically you would have to have BR and IPA/IPO in place by Dec 1st to not be affected by this taking it all?

Likelihood of this happening? Pretty much non existent I'd guess?
    When looking at the climb in front of you, don't forget to look back once in a while and see how far you have come:j
    and remember...
    All the worrying in the world won't change anything...so breathe:beer:
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Hi, we are looking also at a £5-600 surplus and with a hearing date set for 10th December, we are now probably having to make the decision to back track and go back into our debt management plan and plod on for 16 years till everything is cleared. The 30% we would have had left over from the surplus, made life just about livable and BR almost bearable (we all know the budgets are unrealistic in todays climate anyway).

This is going to affect a lot of people.

I am sure the tories are responsible for this along with all of the other decisions they are making to break the people of this country.

The budgets are actually quite realistic, fair and far more generous than an IVA, for example.

Think very carefully - 3 years paying a lot compared to 16 years paying a considerable sum too you need to really think about this rather than a knee-jerk reaction.
  • Sunnylooloo
    Options
    skylight wrote: »
    The budgets are actually quite realistic, fair and far more generous than an IVA, for example.

Think very carefully - 3 years paying a lot compared to 16 years paying a considerable sum too you need to really think about this rather than a knee-jerk reaction.

Good advice SL - my first thought was blimey there is no way I can consider BR but as you say there is a lot of things to consider.

Do you think they might be more open to accept things like pet insurance now? that is one thing that worries me on my SOA which I would of used some of my surplus for?
    The worst cliques are those which consist of one man ~ George Bernard Shaw
    Holiday Saving fund 2010 = £25.00 :DWeightLoss 2010 = +6lbs :(
    BSC 292
    June NSD 11 :TJuly NSD 15:TAugust NSD 14:TSeptember 9:T October 19:jNovember 15/11
  • dojoman
    dojoman Posts: 12,027 Forumite
    Options
    Daisy4567 wrote: »
    Oh hec!!

Well, we were entering into an IVA but my hubby's wages seem like they will be dropping by £250.00 in Jan - so were thinking of BR seriously.

However this scares the living daylights out of me and seems that by going BR we will achieve nothing - I think our surplus is currently £222.00 which was going to be the IVA payment.

So basically they would take ALL of this? In IVA they only take 50%

So, let me get this clear in my head please -

Basically you would have to have BR and IPA/IPO in place by Dec 1st to not be affected by this taking it all?

Likelihood of this happening? Pretty much non existent I'd guess?

I thought the whole surplus was taken in an IVA!
    :pB&SC No. 298
    Life`s Tragedy is that we get OLD too soon
    and WISE too late!
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Hi I am in a very similar situation although I don't have a new job I am awaiting child support payments to come through, my ex OH has been assessed {but I have yet to receive any monies, 2 years and still counting:(} I am taking it the same way as you that I don't have an IPA yet but will get one when his monies find their way to me. My original soa showed a 10.00 surplus {however this was NEVER surplus in reality}

I wonder what the point of chasing him was:mad: I now have a mutiny on my hands with my nearly sixteen year old..........:eek:

When is your discharge date?? Is he going to pay via the CSA - is he actually going to pay?? (As in is this an attachment of earnings or is he going to ignore the assessment?) You can also increase your child expenses in your SOA when the time comes.

And as previously mentioned, you can always refuse the IPA based on maintenance. I dont think the ORs will want a court case based on those facts as I dont think they will win. Maintenance doesn't have an impact anymore on means tested benefits and that is a damn good precedence!

Debt Doctor:
    DLA cannot be counted as income in an IPA; I assume that still stands? Is there any chance you can find out about maintenance reciepts. If they are an allowable expense in BR then surely they should be an allowable and exempt receipt too?!

I wasn't happy when they started to include child benefit in IPA calculations a short while ago.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure