IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

MSE News: Councils want 70% jump in parking fines

Options
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Many local authorities outside London are lobbying to hike the cost of a standard ticket from £70 to £120 ..."

Comments

• peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 November 2010 at 12:44PM
    Options
    Guarantee that london councils will want a rise as well, if only to keep the differential.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Rupert_Bear
    Options
    No doubt it is a way of the council getting more revenue now that council tax increases have been suspended for the next few years.
  • taffy056
    taffy056 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    edited 22 November 2010 at 11:42AM
    Options
    Well we have already discussed this on other threads, but thanks for doing a news item about this.
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
  • g4kvi
    g4kvi Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    As a driver of a bus in the city of Bath I think the fine should go up to £1000. Plus the removal of your licence and your car! Is it not about time people respected the law. It is illegal to park on yellow lines etc. These inconsiderate people have on more than one occasion held up emergency service with their illegal activities.
    As an idea why doesn't everyone just obey the law and then you won't have to worry about the fines!!!!!!!!
  • taffy056
    taffy056 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    Options
    g4kvi wrote: »
    As a driver of a bus in the city of Bath I think the fine should go up to £1000. Plus the removal of your licence and your car! Is it not about time people respected the law. It is illegal to park on yellow lines etc. These inconsiderate people have on more than one occasion held up emergency service with their illegal activities.
    As an idea why doesn't everyone just obey the law and then you won't have to worry about the fines!!!!!!!!

Actually its not illegal to park on double yellow lines as local councils deal with this not the police, and for disabled drivers as long as they are not causing an obstruction they can park there, and for unloading or loading a vehicle there is an exemption, so please get your facts straight! And I think inconsiderate bus drivers who pull out in front of me without signalling should get 3 points on their licence, and docked a day's wage, its about time they showed respect to other road users!
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    If everyone obeyed the law half(slight exaggeration) the cars on the road would not be there.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    MSE_Guy wrote: »
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Many local authorities outside London are lobbying to hike the cost of a standard ticket from £70 to £120 ..."

I already posted the story about this on Saturday...do try to keep up..:p

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2874482
  • InaPickle
    InaPickle Posts: 5,968 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Surely the fines cost more in London cos everything costs more in London?

Having London-priced fines in some small market town in the middle of nowhere could go from being an affordable inconvenience and a timely reminder not to park in said spot again to becoming genuinely crippling to some people, no?

Not on.

Either that, or raise everybody's wages to London figures. ;)
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• Stephen_Leak
    Options
    Can we have a 70% increase in car parking spaces to make up?
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • ElkyElky
    ElkyElky Posts: 2,459 Forumite
    Options
    There is an easy solution to this madness.. don't park where you shouldn't be parking.

I have a car and I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest if parking fines run in to the hundreds as I always park in a designated bay with a valid ticket. :D

Local councils need to hire more traffic wardens in my opinion.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure