New Post Advanced Search

Migration Code

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
5 replies 1.1K views
rohan_3-2rohan_3-2 Forumite
4 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
hi..

can anyone advise me....i was on freeserve broadband and was thinking of changing to another isp...as such called up wanadoo and told them that i was moving to another isp and said that i would like to cancel the account as of today...and then followed it up by requesting a migration code to which he replied "oops" have already closed your account and so would not be able to give you one...and now this means that i wouldhave to pay a activation fee to set up a new isp account.....any advice

thanks

Replies

• ROHAN wrote:
    "oops" have already closed your account and so would not be able to give you one...and now this means that i wouldhave to pay a activation fee to set up a new isp account.....any advice

Yes, I have heard of this one before. The MAC code is valid usually for thirty days. So you meant to call the ISP:

1 request a MAC (Migration Authorisation Code)
    2 cancel your agreement
    3 get settings from your new ISP (usually around ten days to migrate)

I guess they should have advised you about migration, when you called to cancel. It may be, that it is now out of their hands, as the migration thing is handled mainly by BT (correct me if I am wrong).

So your best bet now is to sign up with Virgin (no connection fee, 1 months min contract, then request a MAC code then cancel and move to that new ISP. Bit long winded I guess, but we are all money savers, right?!

>;-)
  • hey thanks ...will try that out
  • oranabana wrote:
    Yes, I have heard of this one before. The MAC code is valid usually for thirty days. So you meant to call the ISP:

1 request a MAC (Migration Authorisation Code)
    2 cancel your agreement
    3 get settings from your new ISP (usually around ten days to migrate)

Going by what you say here, does this mean that once I receive my MAC code I then have to call back to cancel my account (with Wanadoo) ... or in my case I will be asking to transfer to PAYG rather than cancel so I can keep my email account ... and at what stage do I do this as I'm worried about either leaving myself with no internet access until the new broadband ISP is up and running or having to use the PAYG dial-up account.

Or, do I wait until my new ISP is up and running before cancelling broadband with Wanadoo or does one cancel out the other automatically? And if that happens will I still be able to request a PAYG account with Wanadoo?

Sorry for all the questions and I hope I've made sense here as it's all a bit confusing :confused:

I just don't think I could cope without internet access for a day or more (or even an hour LOL!) :rolleyes:

BTW, I've emailed Wanadoo today to complain about being given the run around over the weekend and to request they send the MAC code by email as I refuse to pay an extortionate 23p per minute calling their 0870 only to be put on hold for several minutes while the person dealing with my call speaks to his supervisors! If he can't deal with the call himself why is he working there! I did try the landline numbers that Andy gave further up the thread but constantly got through to an answer machine :mad:
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• hi

while still on the topic of migration, how do i find out if the adsl connection is datastream or ipstream...and also would i need to let virgin know if they could put me on one that has a ipstream connection..

ps..looks like i wont be able to obtain a MAC and so would need to start from scratch

rohan
  • Watch out about Virgin, now they are part of NTL and I think all new connections are on Datastream. Most 'normal' ISP's are on Ipstream and you cannot change between the two. You would be no better off as you would again have to cancel as there is no migration proceedure between them.
    Go straight to a normal ISP, Metronet etc, I think there are some free to join but they lock you into a lenghty contract.
    Down south where, unfortunately, the government does remember us.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support