PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

public sewer under garage, and conservatory, to buy or not to buy?

Options
LillyB_3
LillyB_3 Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 22 November 2010 at 1:52PM in House buying, renting & selling
This is the first time that i'm posting and hope that some one can offer me any advice on my predicament.

We are nearing exchange on a house that we have put an offer on. A traditional 3 bed semi, built in the early 1930s. The water search has revealed that there is a public sewer running along the length of the house underneath the garage and the conservatory.
Initially we intended to knock down the conservatory, and add a single storey extension on the rear of the house. With a view to some point in the future turning the garge into a living area. It now appears the likelihood of being able to do this would be very slim, as I've researched and discovered that the water authority very rarely give consent for build over agreements for class 3 sewers.

My questions are:

The garage was built at the same time as the house, I doubt the conservatory has a build over agreement. Should the water authority require access, and dig up the garage, who would be liable for repairs to both the garage and conservatory?

Should I request any indeminity from the vendor?

There are several other houses for sale for about the same price on this road. This is the only one to have a public sewer running across it. With this in mind and the now lack of development potential would we be justified in asking the vendor to re negotiate the price.

If anybody has been through a similar situation then any advice, and thoughts would be much appreciated.:beer:

Comments

• clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    if there are 3 others for sale i would go look at them
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,084 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Should the water authority require access, and dig up the garage, who would be liable for repairs to both the garage and conservatory?

Firstly a court would require them to try and access from other means, if at all possible. If the worst came to the worst, you would be liable for rebuild costs. These days they can drill with moles and repair leaks remotely, so the chances of them needing to bulldoze through your property are limited. That says, it is a risk.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • LillyB_3
    Options
    clutton wrote: »
    if there are 3 others for sale i would go look at them

Yes we did go to look at the others as well, but this one just had the right feel about it. With recent developments we are not sure whether it is still worth the additional hassle, or whether we should just cut our losses and move on.
  • SallyD
    SallyD Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    edited 21 November 2010 at 7:38PM
    Options
    I was interested in a detached house that was very reasonably priced but had been on and off the market for about a year. This house had a drive at the front that went right along the side of the house and out to a small lane running across the back. I soon realized that the drive was shared with other houses so decided to do some checking prior to making an offer. The drive was shared ownership with one other property but 4 others had right of way.......the water searches showed the main sewer run from the front drive gates right along the side of the house down to the small lane at the back. I guessed the house had remained unsold because of this.There was such good development potential to extend and queried this with the water board. They said you would be able to build over but would have to have inspection/access points along the way and the water board has the right of access, but they do make good - even so, could not face all that in the event of something going wrong.
    SallyD
  • LillyB_3
    LillyB_3 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 22 November 2010 at 1:51PM
    Options
    We have had some more information through this morning from the water authority, it appears that it is not a class 3, but a class 1 sewer. Which is better news since it is now more likely to get planning permission, but at a cost of an additional couple of thousand just for the drain survey, and CCTV inspection. Then the additional cost of protecting the sewer when we come to build.

Has anybody been through a similar situation?

Would be justified in re-negotiating the price?
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    LillyB wrote: »
    Would be justified in re-negotiating the price?
    unles the EA's particulars say for example "scope to extend subject to pp" then the house has been priced on the basis of what is there not what you think you could put there. If i was the vendor i would not reduce my price just because someone else wanted to extend, that said you can but ask

In my ignorance the first house I bought takes the drainage for half the estate via 3 brancheds thoriugh the garaden and drive and therefore I am now responsible for all 3. Thankfully in the 20 years i have owned it no strutural problems yet
    the one time that one of them blocked there were still council tenants in the properties served by that branch so the council cleared the drain and did not charge me as it was not my branch which had caused the blockage
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure