PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Draught Excluders

Options

Comments

• lrb_2
    lrb_2 Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Never done one, but they seem pretty easy. Here you have a link. ( guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/jan/05/how-to-make-draught-excluder)
    If you Google it you'll probably find quite a few websites with instructions.

Lx
  • PudseyDB
    PudseyDB Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    the fleece will work perfect..............you just need to cut out 2 long sausages slightly wider (about 2cm) than the door frame - sew round, leaving a gap in the middle to pull through to the right side, before stuffing and oversewing the gap. Or make it even simpler and make a fat rectangle that you fold over and stitch - though I think the sausage shape looks nicer.

I wouldnt bother with the silky material for this....it'll fray at the edges and be less strong than the fleece.

If you want a really, really easy option..........do you have a pair of old leggings? sew up the bottom hem of one leg, stuff - then cut off and sew the top.

PS....you can always decorate it too..............I had one with floppy ears and a tail!!!
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    :wave:
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi sunshinesheli,

Sew the fabric you have into a sausage shape and use the dressing gown as stuffing before sealing up the other end. It will make a real difference to the temperature in the room.

This thread has more advice:

Draught Excluders

I'll add your thread to it later to keep the the suggestions together.

Pink
  • sunshinesheli
    Options
    Whoo! Thanks guys, I will attempt to make one! :D
    Feb GC: £197 :T / £320 Feb £5 a day challenge: £ / £145
    I'm a (rubbish) Flylady!
    Still De-cluttering in 2012!!!
    :beer:
  • arwenelf
    arwenelf Posts: 170 Forumite
    Options
    I have a huge bag of odd socks that I am intending to use to stuff a draught excluder when I get round to making it!:D
    Make £5 a day challenge - April

Sealed pot challenge - 10p and 20p pieces - member 894
  • noodles86
    Options
    Going to be brave and attempt at making my own this weekend with some un-needed pillow cases. But just wondering what the best filling is. Im using them for the front and back door and the gap between the washer and the work surface lol! Have been thinking about rice for the doors (buying some Tesco value rice) and some stuffing for the washer one?
    Spreading a little Christmas joy all year round :santa2:
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd use torn up rags...old tights, clothes that are too worn even for the charity shop, trimmings from making the actual covering, old holey jumpers, old pillow inners, old bits of duvet rolled up. Don't use rice or other foodstuff...they will get damp and go mouldy. If you really don't want to use rags buy a couple of pillows out the ££ shop and use the stuffing from these.
    Val.
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've always used old tights/things that have shrunk in the wash! You could put some lavender in with them if you have any and any draughts that make it past will smell lovely too!
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • noodles86
    Options
    Thank you. I would use rags but don't have any! Think I shall buy some pillows from the pound shop 2moro :) do you know where I can buy lavender from? The washer hole is extremely draughty so that sounds a great idea!
    Spreading a little Christmas joy all year round :santa2:
  • ajs88
    ajs88 Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    ive found that ebay is the cheapest for lavender

hay is suppose to be a very good insulator so that might be good a good stuffing to use
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback