Santander ATM charges in Spain?

Options
gatita
gatita Posts: 1,283 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
edited 19 November 2010 at 11:19PM in Flights, currency & car hire
I am convinced that I was told at my local branch that cash withdrawels with my debit card from a Santander ATM in Spain would be free from charges.
Not the case, it costs 2% ie 110 euros = £98 disgusting!

Dzug you are quite right, the details I put were nonsense lol. I have now corrected it thanks
When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your figures don't make sense unfortunately - that's way more than a 2% charge - over 12%

Are you sure you weren't told that 110 euros would be £98? That's more likely though still not good.
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Works out about 1:12/£ not too bad for the convenience of withdrawing money wherever you like.
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    I would check with them...their website does state that there will be no charges.

What charges apply if I use a Santander Cash Machine in Spain?
    All main adult current accounts (those which are credited with at least £1,000 per month) could benefit from free cash machine withdrawals in Spain. Simply use your Santander Debit Card in a Santander branded cash machine in Spain to receive the withdrawal fee free. This means: No Cash Handling Fee AND No Foreign Exchange Fee will be charged.

If you type 'Spain' into the search box on their website it is part of the FAQ - 5th link down.

When was this though...the rate was not far off that not long ago.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • gatita
    gatita Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It was today i tried, I believe the exchange rate was 1 GBP = 1.16850 EUR Thank you for the info.
    When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.
  • SaveTheEuro
    Options
    pompeyrich wrote: »
    Works out about 1:12/£ not too bad for the convenience of withdrawing money wherever you like.

Santander's Zero account allows you to withdraw money wherever you like without charge, not just in Spain.

Assuming an exchange rate of 1.17 to the pound:

A withdrawal of €300 (£256.41) from a non-Zero account incurs a cash handling fee of £3.84 plus a foreign loading charge of £7.05, a total of £10.89.

The more you travel the more you save obviously. Making such a withdrawal on average once a month, you would save £130 in a year.

The savings are similar with the Metro Bank debit card and the new account being launched by Norwich and Peterborough in January.
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    Santander's Zero account allows you to withdraw money wherever you like without charge, not just in Spain.

Assuming an exchange rate of 1.17 to the pound:

A withdrawal of !!!8364;300 (£256.41) from a non-Zero account incurs a cash handling fee of £3.84 plus a foreign loading charge of £7.05, a total of £10.89.

The more you travel the more you save obviously. Making such a withdrawal on average once a month, you would save £130 in a year.

The savings are similar with the Metro Bank debit card and the new account being launched by Norwich and Peterborough in January.

According to Santander's website there are no charges when using a Santander card (not just Zero Account) to withdraw from Santander ATMs in Spain...this is what the OP was asking about, I thought.

'All main adult current accounts'

Assuming it's a Santander account, a main account, and an adult account...seems there should be no charges.

Only other thing I can think is if it was a dynamic currency conversion situation - where the withdrawal was in processed in GBP rather than EUR?
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ferf1223 wrote: »
    Only other thing I can think is if it was a dynamic currency conversion situation - where the withdrawal was in processed in GBP rather than EUR?

I thought of that too - being told the amount as 98 if it were ££ and not €€ would bear that out. In which case I doubt if the no charge promise applies
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure