Which end of bath for Taps???

Options

Comments

• Mr_Grumpy_7
    Options
    Maybe vanity is the wrong word...

The idea of placing a ceiling light nearer the window is to reduce what can be seen through your curtains from outside. With your curtains drawn and your bedroom light on, somebody standing outside would be able see clearly the silhouette of somebody standing in front of the light, but would not be able to see somebody standing behind the light. This was in the days when only the rich could afford heavy curtain material, and the poor were lucky to have any curtains at all.:D
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for that explanation I really had no idea why the light was nearer to the window, but now I do thanks to you......:T
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • mikeywills
    Options
    Nobody Yet has made any reference to drainage, in which direction does the drain go, is it closer to the outside the way it has been fitted.
    Most acrylic baths come predrilled with the taps and waste on one end, a lot of shower baths have a wider section near the tap end to give you more standing room.
    Although it is not normal practise to put the shower head at the sloping end it is possible but many would find it odd. I have yet to bang my legs on my bath taps so don't see this to be a problem.

When we refitted our bathroom recently we selected a wall mounted bath spout so to make it easier to wipe the bath rim below the shower.

I think that your plumber has carried out a normal installation, unless you told him you wanted to keep it the way it was, how was he to know?
    I had a plan..........its here somewhere.
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My taps are at the window end. I couldn't have a shower at that end if I tried.

As for the slope in the bath - I don't need to stand that far away from the end of the bath. Anyhoo, if I was too near the end I wouldn't get washed properly because I wouldn't manage to turn round if I was that close to the wall. You need to stand forward a bit. That's the reason you can change the angle of your showerhead.
  • Bertville
    Options
    I've only ever seen the shower at the same end as the taps except when it is a bath that has taps on the side in the centre.
  • kazzagrezza
    Options
    Thanks for all your help and advice guys - it turns out that my Mum likes having the taps the shower end after all!!:D
  • tawnyowls
    tawnyowls Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tanith wrote:
    One thing puzzles me about this , if you had a fixed shower door/panel how the heck would you be able to reach the taps to turn them on if the taps were under the shower? Mine is fixed taps at window end , shower at opposite end.... seems quite logical to me to me that way round...

Extremely difficult. Are shower screen often fixed, though? Even when they're just one panel of glass, they usuall swing off the bath to allow cleaning.

Yep, my last bath was like that too, and very logical. Had we decided to put a shower over the bath in the previous house, we'd also have needed to do it that way, because the tap end was also the window end, as it is in many older houses, and the window actually extended to more than halfway along the bit of wall where the taps were - we'd have had to have the shower placed nearly in the corner to have it on that wall.
  • never_enough
    never_enough Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    Options
    I've only ever had taps & shower at the same end. My OH had shower at the opposite end to the taps. I found it really strange at first...& slightly confusing first thing in the morning when I'm *not* at my best! :o
  • woodbutcher_2
    Options
    Of course,the correct answer to this question is.......................................it doesn't matter.Put it any end you want.
  • virgin_moneysaver
    Options
    in the 3 houses we've had both, 2 with shower opposite to taps because of window position (both old, old houses), this house is our 'newest', its only 60 years old! & the shower already installed was at the taps end - I didn't mind either way, each house was different. You learn by mistakes - the 1st bath had a lip at the back which collected the shower water so we made sure the next house, when we installed the new bath had no lip because the shower still had to go at the opp end to the taps. I'm a 'shower to get washed, bath to read books & drink wine' person & found that if I had a bath after one of my boys had a shower after footie & the like, I would get dripped on from the shower hose, so when we moved to this new house & built the extension I've had a shower room bulit for them downstairs & now have a bathroom with no shower, AND ITS BLISS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure