Amex Cancel Cards

Options
I have 2 Amex cards £17,300 & £11,700 was away on a business trip when I was informed by my office that the limits had been reduced to the balance on the cards.

This left me with nothing to use on either card, lucky I carry others.

I phoned some plonker in India who was no use what so ever. On returning home I contacted Amex again who then informed me that they had now CANCELED both my cards.:mad: :mad: As you can image I was furious and having been a customer for 5 years with a perfect credit history.

I have complained several times to Amex and have even been given an executive officer who says my case has been reviewed several times and that the decision still stands NO CARDS. :mad: :mad:

What makes we so angry is that 6 months ago I upgraded by British Airways Amex card so I would get 1.5 air miles for every £ spent and 3 air miles for booking flights. As I book up to 10 long haul flights a year with BA and they also off FREE companion flights if you spend £10 per year it was a way of getting Air miles faster.

I switched all my spending to Amex and was just £900 short of a FREE companion flight when this cancellation happened.

I also have a company and hold an Amex Merchant account as we take Amex cads as payments. I told Amex unless they reinstated my Cards I would kick out Amex from our company and this would ultimately lose them lots of Money! :T :T

Despite all my complaints today they have still said for the 3rd time they will not reinstate my cards. Needless to say I am not a happy bunny and have contacted the Mail on Sunday to take up the fight as well as British Airways to tell them what a bunch of W******* Amex are. Has anybody else has such bad treatment?

Comments

• Gorgeous_George
    Options
    Good luck.

They really are the worst credit card company that I know of. My card is sat dormant until the cashback is paid.

:)

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • AMILLIONDOLLARS
    Options
    Some thing must be going on at AMEX, far too many cards are being cancelled or the limits drastically reduced. Do you think THEY are in Financial Trouble:eek: :eek: and can no longer lend the money to customers, hence cancellation of cards and reduce balances,I think all will be revealed in the coming weeks, lets all watch this space!!!

AMD
    Debt Free!!!
  • eagle
    eagle Posts: 586 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've kept my account in good shape too. Before I had about 6 or 7k available between all my Amex cards. I cancelled two this week, but itnerestingly the available credit didn't move over to the remaining card. I'm not going to get in a stress about it though - I have just finished applying for a Platinum Charge card which seems to have better benefits for me. Anyway, hopefully this will be an end to Amex credit limits for me, as Charge cards don't have credit limits.
  • multimillionaire
    Options
    What was the reason that they gave you for the cancellation ? Have you had any issues with the cards at all otherwise ?

Odd since, they make money regardlesss by charging you a fee on the BA based cards.

Its concerning......since I have 2 amex cards myself, totalling 20k+ , one is waaaaay larger than the other. Dont use either much in all honesty but they do serve a purpose for me. Hope they dont do the same to me.... :o|

MM
  • eagle
    Options
    Actually I have a BA card too. It's the only one left on the account. Hope they don't wack a huge fee on there, before I get my Platinum Charge card. Are they likely to do that?
  • multimillionaire
    Options
    A bit of a +ve Twist in holding more than one card....it actually reduces the fee!

Beware though, some amex cards have a minimum spend on them, so you must meet that annually if its on your second card to prevent paying a fee there too.....do that, and it reduces the fee on your primary card.

In my case, to reduce the fee on my BA card, I must spend £500 to not pay a fee on the second card, AND it then reduces the BA card fee for being a dual amex card holder.

Cool eh !?
  • eagle
    Options
    I think terms on my BA card were: the first year is free, so long as I've been a member for at least 6 months, thereafter subsequent years are £30. Now that I've cancelled my other cards, pending another AmEx application, I'm concerned they may dock me a £120 full-wack fee for the BA Amex card.
  • multimillionaire
    Options
    They could well have you on that point, came close to getting stung once myself while switching over different amex cards, at one point, ending up having to hold 3 in order to avoid the other cards fees. Worked out in the end.

Some amex advisors are not fully aware of this offering by the way, so you may need to spell it out to them.

Good luck, and end of post hijack !
  • AMILLIONDOLLARS
    Options
    Beware though, some amex cards have a minimum spend on them, so you must meet that annually if its on your second card to prevent paying a fee there too.....do that, and it reduces the fee on your primary card.

This has just jogged my memory!! I have an AMEX LOB 4.9% going on at the moment, I do not spend on the card just pay the balance off. In their terms and conditions I remember AMEX quoting that very same thing about "the card may attracting a fee if you don't spend on it"

With all that's going on with AMEX at the moment, do you think this is the next step forward with trying to claw some money back from their LOB cards.
    Debt Free!!!
  • multimillionaire
    Options
    Nah - amex have been doing it for years...its the norm with them.

Think I sound like a bit of an amex fanboy ! They have been good to me over the years i guess!

MM
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport