Booking my first holiday!

Options
Hello All,
I'm new to the site and have been reading up on all the hints and tips for budget travel. I am going to Murcia in December for 10 days and have decided to book with Jet2 since it seems to be the cheapest using skyscanner and others at around £140 inc. taxes. I haven't booked yet though. I have a Visa Electron so from what I've read there will be no booking charge?
I just wanted to know what else I should look out for during the booking process to make sure I don't get roped into hidden costs? And in terms of luggage, is it really possible to travel with hand luggage only?
Can anyone offer any other money saving tips? When should I check-in online in order to avoid the check in fees.

Comments

• HXDave
    HXDave Posts: 951 Forumite
    Options
    whilst Jet2.com give a very generous hand baggage allowance compared to some airlines, you have to think 'will i get everything i need for 10 days in 10Kgs'. you also need to think about any liquids you may want to take with you (shampoo, shower gel, make up etc........), as you will be limited to a max of 100Ml (not a lot really). also bear in main that when i last looked, Leeds Bradford (if you were thinking of flying from there) still only allow 1 piece of handluggage through security (Airport policy, not airline policy), so the bag with all your clothes in would have to be the only bag you take through security (no handbag or anything else - BTW, i am presuming by your name you are a lady).

if you want to cut down on costs and there are 2 of you going, just book 1 suitcase between you and share the packing. The pre paid suitcase will give you 22Kgs of checked in luggage PLUS your hand baggage allowance.

Have you thought about booking the whole thing through their holiday section? this gives a few more benefits. firstly, luggage is automatically included, and usually at a reduced rate. secondly, it is then booked as a package, so if anything goes wrong you are covered (December from leeds can be dodgy with wintry conditions and Fog, manchester should be better!) Next, from what i recall, Murcia is a military airport and 'non military' traffic is only allowed at specific times of day. therefore, any delays and you miss the time slot at the airport then it's off to Alicante i'm afraid.

Anyway, hope this gives an insight, and hope you get something sorted.

Regards

HXDave
    [FONT=&quot]I used to be a Travel Agent [/FONT]
    Used to be a travel agent for 23 Years, but now out of the industry. However I will help with what i can.
  • fairyfleur
    Options
    Thanks Dave for all the helpful info
    I am actually going with another person and we have considered the shared luggage option
    I wasn't aware of the holiday section? I will look into it.

Also, I wanted to know if me and my friend decide to fly back at a later date while we are there, can we change our flight quite easily and will there be a charge for changing?
  • HXDave
    HXDave Posts: 951 Forumite
    Options
    there is no problem changing your flight, but you might find it quite expensive:
    How much does it cost to change a booking?

The cost to make a name or date change is 27.50GBP/ 36EUR/ 54CHF/ 980CZK/ 150PLN per person per one-way flight. In addition, where a change of person has been made or a date has been changed, any increase between the fare, taxes, fees and charges originally paid and the current available fare, plus any difference in the taxes, fees and charges per sector at the time of making such a change, will be charged. If the fare has decreased, no refund will be paid.

traditionally with low cost carriers, as more and more seats are booked on each aircraft, the price then increases, making last minute bookings quite expensive. You also have to make sure any changes are made AT LEAST 6 hours before the flight departure time that you originally booked, however just be careful of on line check-in, as i believe that once you have checked in, then no changes are allowed whatsoever.
    [FONT=&quot]I used to be a Travel Agent [/FONT]
    Used to be a travel agent for 23 Years, but now out of the industry. However I will help with what i can.
  • fairyfleur
    Options
    Thank you
    I looked at Jet2 holidays but I don't think I need a package because I have my accomodation and even pickup from airport sorted very cheap.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure