MSE News: British Gas owner's profits up, as it hammers families with price hikes

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
15 replies 1.8K views
MSE_GuyMSE_Guy MSE Staff
1.7K Posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"British Gas owner Centrica today revealed profits are set to be higher than expected, just days after the firm announced an energy price hike for eight million households ..."

Replies

• So it is, of course, only 'families' who are hammered. Other households are not human - who gives a damn about them.
  • davidgmmafandavidgmmafan Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Its not really relevent is it, I've just skim read the article quickly and it quotes how much money the parent company made. This is a MASSIVE company and BG's contribution is only part of that. Indeed its possible for BG to make a loss and Centrica to make a profit overall.
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • edited 17 November 2010 at 2:04PM
    PlushchrisPlushchris Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    edited 17 November 2010 at 2:04PM
    Its not really relevent is it, I've just skim read the article quickly and it quotes how much money the parent company made. This is a MASSIVE company and BG's contribution is only part of that. Indeed its possible for BG to make a loss and Centrica to make a profit overall.

Correct although that wouldnt fit in with the Daily Mail style headline of the story would it..;)

I thought MSE would be a little more impartial but it seems MSE Guy went to the Mail school of writing...
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 :A & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently! ;)
  • TediTedi Forumite
    2 Posts
    Has anyone else noticed that BG usage estimates are usually much lower than they should be on bills preceding price hikes? Result - higher next bill at the new higher unit price. Check your bills carefully.
  • Stupid article - i fully agree

BG are a private company and need to make profits to allow them to compete against all the foreign companies who seem to be operating over here. So the government or ofgem need to decide - nationalise the uk's energy again and miss out on the tax and then be responsible for building all the stuff we don't seem to have in this country like decent wind farms and nuclear powerstations. or they need to be left to compete with the likes of EDF and EON

I think there are benifits to both options -
  • Kudos to the above posters, some brilliant points made, pretty much covered everything i was scrolling down to post.

Seriously MSE...
  • Would be interested to run a poll on here to see what people would prefer. I'd like to see it back in National hands again i think. energy has gone quite since ConLib took over - wonder what the new milliband chap will have to say as he was the old energy minister wasnt he?

But the Mail and even this site make all their money by people switching hence the scaremongering and headline grabbing. perhaps people wud rather see british companies go the way of BP and BA fail apart to become national embarrassments
  • Innocent enough headline with a rather low amount of content in the article. Nothing to get excited about other than the bad news of price rises.

Why the agitation?
  • backfoot wrote: »
    Innocent enough headline with a rather low amount of content in the article. Nothing to get excited about other than the bad news of price rises.

Why the agitation?
    Indeed, one could almost say, a variable tariff having the tariff varied and an annual bonus only being paid on the bonus date - why the agitation?

:confused;
  • davidgmmafandavidgmmafan Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Its just a nothing article, why not just put up there's no news once in a while then we can make something sensational up ourselves to discuss. That at least would make a nice change :)

What's next Asda pushing prices up as Walmart makes HUGE profits?

I believe utilitiy companies operate on small margins, and its probably more complicated than most people realize so smoke and mirrors 'news' like this just muddies the waters.
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides