Help - Incorrect Flights booking

Options
Hi folks,

I have bought some flights for my parents (xmas gift).

My issue is that today I got paid enough to buy the hotels for them as well, and I realised the dates have been booked for the wrong month.

The dates should have been the Ath - Bth of January, whereas Opodo have the Ath January to the Bth of February.

Now although i have it in my history that i selected monday the 24th of January, I can only assume that during the payment I must have scrolled down the screen, or the mistake was at Opodo's end. My email confirmation also states both January/February.

In either case, I have also paid the £29 Opodo Extra fee, which waivers the admin costs if you need to modify/cancel your booking. However since I cannot modify nor cancel my booking in this case, I have firstly been wrongly charged for this optional fee?

In any case, I cannot afford to pay for more flights, and their hotel, and Opodo were unreluctant on the phone to be of any assistance.

Can anyone on here advise?

The most I have been able to gather is that they will take 15 days to investigate, which takes me an awful lot closer to Xmas, and I dont want the hotel to get fully booked. As such, to the best of my knowledge, if they rightfully cannot do anything to assist me, then I should be able to at least claim the £29 fee back, and from Google, I should also be able to reclaim some of the airport Taxes.

Does anyone know of a good website to work out what I can claim back, or provide any thoughts on what I can do in my situation?

The only further details I can provide, is that I have paid on my CC(I have not paid the bill off yet though), and that my order was just over a week ago.

Thanks in advance.

Dire.

Comments

• Polly_Esther
    Options
    As you have paid the £29 fee which waives the admin costs if you need to modify the booking please explain exactly why you say that you 'cannot modify nor cancel' your booking.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you go to manage my booking on the airline's website does it say if the return leg is changeable with a fee?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • DireEmblem
    Options
    No, on the website it says no legs of the journey are changable, which firstly defeats the point of the £29 fee.
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There is usually the distinction with a broker between their admin costs and the airlines. I recently cancelled a flight with ebookers who charge a £25 fee. This came on top of the airline cancellation fee.

I guess the Opodo website upsells the £29 admin waiver regardless of the contents of the booking. You would still be liable for the airline part of the fee.

Phone them again and ask if you can change the flight or cancel and see what the refund might be. All I know is that my cancelled flights were listed as unchangable on the airline website but I got a refund of about 85% of the fare.
  • malkie76
    malkie76 Posts: 6,170 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The £29 does sound redundant if your booking is non-changeable anyway. You may be able to claim that back from them as it does sound like a mis-selling.

However, if your flights are non-changeable then sadly your only option is booking fresh ones and reclaiming the taxes on the original flight at a later date.

Saying that, take the time to approach the airline and see if they'll modify it for you for a fee. The trick (with major airlines) is to contact them within 24hours of a booking as sometimes they'll change errors without charging (however this is becoming less and less the 'norm')
    Legal team on standby
  • HXDave
    HXDave Posts: 951 Forumite
    Options
    will all depend on where you are travelling to / from, and with which airline, but if the outward date is correct, have you considered just booking the flight back as a seperate booking one way?

like i say, may depend on destinations and airlines involved, but worth a try.
    [FONT=&quot]I used to be a Travel Agent [/FONT]
    Used to be a travel agent for 23 Years, but now out of the industry. However I will help with what i can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure