edited 23 November 2010 at 4:55PM in Money Saving Polls
41 replies 5.3K views

Replies

• edited 18 November 2010 at 3:49PM
    Stephen_LeakStephen_Leak
    8.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 November 2010 at 3:49PM
    After all my years of "MSE-ing", my daughter would now be annoyed with me if her present wasn't a bargain. The best present possible, but at the lowest possible price.

Many years ago, when I was still married and just after I was made redundant, we didn't know how long the money was going to last. So we agreed to set a limit of just £5.00 and try to get as many decent (not pound shop rubbish) presents as possible. So, I decided to split it into something to eat, something to drink, something to smell, something to read or watch and something to wear, with an average of £1.00 each. Marks & Spencer got me off to a flying start with a little taster bottle of wine, a little cube of Christmas cake and a travel size tube of moisturiser. All a good brand and a little under £1 each.

Something to read was a bit more of a problem, as I wanted something better than a "Little Book of Christmas" or whatever, which I knew just wouldn't be read. However, I eventually found a book of daily horoscopes for SWMBO's star sign, which should last all year.

I chickened out on the something to wear, and got a £1 gift voucher from a clothes shop I knew she liked.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • stevemcol wrote: »
    Here we go again. Christians trying to hijack Christmas ;)
    :beer: When you know the awesome news that God really did come into human history as a hard working blue collar worker, lived a sinless life despite being tempted as we are, was betrayed, tortured and murdered and then, just to show that he was who he claimed to be, conquered death coming back in person to speak with hundreds of witnesses, you kinda wanna share that news. ;) The clues on the tin "Christ"mas. Though we don't deserve it we really are loved beyond all measure, that's good news:eek:

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16
  • That's that all sorted then. Now, I'm off down to the bottom of the garden to put out some sweets for the fairies. I also need to arrange to get the chimney swept so Santa doesn't get his beard dirty.
    Sorry, I sometimes get confused between make believe and reality.
    Apparently I'm 10 years old on MSE. Happy birthday to me...etc
  • edited 20 November 2010 at 7:45AM
    adrian_clarkadrian_clark Forumite
    105 Posts
    edited 20 November 2010 at 7:45AM
    stevemcol wrote: »
    That's that all sorted then. Now, I'm off down to the bottom of the garden to put out some sweets for the fairies. I also need to arrange to get the chimney swept so Santa doesn't get his beard dirty.
    Sorry, I sometimes get confused between make believe and reality.

That's understandable considering the world wants you to believe that Jesus Christ's claims to be God were make believe. The intriguing truth is that human history still revolves around that humble Galilean carpenter who was tortured and crucified between two thieves. That despite being faithful Jews, with everything to lose by believing in him, thousands in the early church testified to Jesus being resurrected and paid the price by being persecuted, tortured and often killed. That 2000 years later we celebrate God coming into human history as Jesus Christ.

Not a disconnected capricious God who wants you to follow rules to get him to love you but a loving father, who loves you despite your disobedience, who suffered and died for you, who loves you when you are alone, fed up, tired, and ground down by a world that demands too much of your time, talent and emotions. The father of the fatherless is a God of Love and of justice, who knows you personally, has a purpose for you, and loves you beyond all measure. That's not good advice for Christmas, that's good news for the rest of your life.:T

For some really useful free resources take a look through www marshillchurch.org
  • I think its nice to give small handmade presents to friends, neighbours and people who help get you through the year - biscuits or mincepies or similar. Not everyone has lots of family and Christmas is a time for making everyone feel special not just those with famillies.
  • Luckily, I don't have this problem. Our christmas Day will be spent cooking for 150 as we're helping out at the homeless centre.
    We've never really had christmas- as humanists we celebrate New Year instead. This is fantastic as the kids are still excited about their pressies long after their friends have grown bored with theirs, we have an extra week before our celebrations to bake cakes and cookies, put up decorations and are able to take full advantage of the post-christmas sales to buy our goodies (no-one wants luxury crackers, gift-wrap or decorations on 29th December -except us!):money:

If children are old enough to understand, explain that new rules mean that from now on they can choose to have 1 present on Christmas Day, or if they want to wait, they can have 2 on New Years Day.
    Smaller children will want pressies on Christmas Day and that is their choice. Older, more clued up kids will have grown out of the idea of Father Christmas and will prefer to wait for the sales.

Personally, unless you believe all that stuff about angels and baby jesus I don't know what there is to enjoy about christmas. Why not say "BAH HUMBUG!" to it all and enjoy a Happy New Year instead.
  • gimmetoast wrote: »
    Luckily, I don't have this problem. Our christmas Day will be spent cooking for 150 as we're helping out at the homeless centre.
    We've never really had christmas- as humanists we celebrate New Year instead. This is fantastic as the kids are still excited about their pressies long after their friends have grown bored with theirs, we have an extra week before our celebrations to bake cakes and cookies, put up decorations and are able to take full advantage of the post-christmas sales to buy our goodies (no-one wants luxury crackers, gift-wrap or decorations on 29th December -except us!):money:

If children are old enough to understand, explain that new rules mean that from now on they can choose to have 1 present on Christmas Day, or if they want to wait, they can have 2 on New Years Day.
    Smaller children will want pressies on Christmas Day and that is their choice. Older, more clued up kids will have grown out of the idea of Father Christmas and will prefer to wait for the sales.

Personally, unless you believe all that stuff about angels and baby jesus I don't know what there is to enjoy about christmas. Why not say "BAH HUMBUG!" to it all and enjoy a Happy New Year instead.

Thank you for giving your time and energies caring for those in need at Christmas. There are many practical things Christians can learn from the example of good people about how to love and serve. The truth is that as a Christian, a term of derision used by the Romans that means 'little Christ', I know myself to be a sinner and hope to be more like Jesus each day. Seeing the work of humanists in homeless centres is just one way of learning to be more like Jesus whose single purpose was to love people, as it happened, to the point of dying for them.

I guess the records of His birth are important, as it's also important to know that there are angels, as well as a heaven and a hell, but that's not really what Christians get most excited about. Christians have been regularly gathering in worship to celebrate the fact that having died for us He rose again conquering death and giving hope to all nations, tribes, tongues and people groups of life beyond the grave with their father in heaven. That's the truth that explains the intriguing behaviour of the early church and Christians ever since, who have believed this seemingly irrational story of Jesus resurrecting, it happened and was witnessed by hundreds and that's the exciting news!

So thank you for serving the homeless people. When you next spend time with them just hypothesis for a moment that those people going through tough times really are image bearers of God with equal dignity, value and worth. That despite their difficulties, addictions and illnesses Jesus loved them, suffered with them and died for each of them so that they could inherit eternal life. That they are each loved beyond all measure by their Father in heaven who created them in His image and likeness. That mankind's sin corrupted the world and caused the suffering, conflict and decay we witness every day and Jesus' priceless sacrifice conquered that sin and has given us all hope of new life with Him from today!

"Even now the reaper draws his wages, even now he harvests the crop for eternal life, so that the sower and the reaper may be glad together." John 4:36
  • Everyone gets the same. 1 Diary and a £5 WHS voucher. The voucher they can do what they like with, the diary, I see my neices has a vast collection nowadays, covering a number of years.

(Note Freedies birthday rule, mark said diary with me Birthday prioir to wrapping)
  • Liz3yyLiz3yy Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    My partner and I aren't doing presents at all this year, for anyone. His parents don't want anything, my close friends don't either, and for reasons I won't go into here I don't buy anything for any of my family either.

It's cheap and so much less stressful, lovely
    They have the internet on computers now?! - Homer Simpson

It's always better to be late in this life, than early in the next
  • we only buy presents for under 16s, family and good friends. adults in family - past few years have used good gifts (uk and abroad) and oxfam unwrapped (mostly abroad) to find appropriate gift for each person eg. a years schooling for african child (for retired teacher). have bought toilet for my sister, bull semen for bro in law, chickens, ducks, goats, eye operations, baby blanket and so on. most family members appreciate not having extra junk to display, consume or otherwise put up with and someone somewhere actually gets a gift they need. previously have bought 'xmas trees' for everyone (woodland trust) or given money to particular charity then put this info in xmas cards. so I'm in both camps - materialistic commercial xmas & philanthropic (rather than 'Christian' with a big C).
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals